Lost a Chick Overnight :(

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
I only have silkies...never planned on getting anything but silkies. BUT, my dd and I were at TSC last night and there were these two lonely bantum chicks, teeny little guys that were said to be "not doing well." It broke our hearts and we wanted to give them a chance at survival by tending to them more than the TSC people can. We lost one overnight.
sad.png
So, now I just have one. I would have loved to slip him/her under my broody but I'm afraid he/she is sick and don't want to expose my flock. I will give him/her a stuffed animal and mirror for company for now. I guess we tried, right? Here are pics of the two babies:

Here is the one we lost:
63636_img_3567.jpg

Here is the other one:
63636_img_3570.jpg

thats the worst feelin in the world..
sad.png
i just got 33 more babies after i lost 10 full grown to a coon or fox but now i see a dead one i see a full grown chicken gone to waste i lost one the other day it looked like it just drowned on its own water i was devastated. hmm thanx im new to the chicken game so im all excited bout the other babies good luck

Thanks everyone. The lone chick is still alive. I dip his/her beak in water periodically. I haven't seen it eat or poop which concerns me. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

What a wonderful thing you did, to bring those little banties home. At least the one little guy didn't die unloved in a store. I hope the other little one makes it. Looks like a Golden Seabright to me...

I had one I thought I was gonna loose yesterday. I think it fell asleep close to the heat and got overheated. Then it may have cooled when I was cleaning the little brooder. We set up the big brooder and got the temperature settled and after a couple of hours she started doing better. She's napping a little more but when she gets up she is almost back to normal. I even wonder if the pecking order being established saw that she wasn't doing well and pushed her off to the side.

The baby is still alive. Doesn't appear to be strong, but I'm giving it vitamins. I just put four eggs under broodies, so I'm thinking if s/he lives, I'll have a buddy for him/her in a few weeks. S/he is SO very tiny that I'm thinking in three weeks, maybe s/he will be the size of my silkie newborns. I'll have to wait and see.

awww.. you did your best and loved them both.. like a previous poster said.. it is much better for them to have expired in a loving home with all the chances possible than to have expired at the store. Hugs to you
love.gif

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom