Lost a chick today...

CTChickenMom

Songster
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
SE Connecticut
I handled this better than I thought I would. She was one of my Golden Penciled Hamburgs named Eva, she was the littlest one. She would eat with the bigger chicks without problems but when she stood still, she often had her mouth open like she was panting a bit. She was half the size of her 2 sisters of the same breed/coloring. I looked in her mouth because it looked like she had something in there but her 14 other brooder mates had walked all over her so she actually had stuff in her beak. I'm considering it a failure to thrive.

In the back of my mind, I knew she wouldn't make it too much longer. I came down tonight around 7 pm to feed them and she was already gone but not too long, she was still warm (or maybe it was just from the brooder light) and her eyes were closed. I found a cardboard box just her size and am heading out to bury her.

Aww, I hate it when that happens but it's all part of it I suppose.
hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss.

I was okay until it was time to actually lay her in the ground. I cried...I thanked her for her time with us and told her that she would be born again sometime as a healthy and happier chick. I've only had her since March 30 and became attached to her in that very short time. My thought now is that she isn't stressed anymore and she can stretch her wings and fly.

Back
Top Bottom