IHeartChickens10

Chirping
Jul 29, 2023
I came home today to see that one of my 5 day old chicks had goop coming out of her mouth. It was a fairly large pile and looked like goopy saliva. She's still eating and drinking, but she is peeping more than usual. What's wrong with her?

Photos? Chicks, brooder?

What do you feed?
Do you provide grit?

I'd check to see that her crop is emptying/going down.
I have them on puppy pads and just give them starter food. I’m gonna give them grit once they’re 2 weeks old because I can’t afford the grit for younger chicks. I checked her crop. I didn’t seem really full or anything. She keeps making chewing motions like if she was hatching and still absorbing the yolk.

Check her crop, what's that like?
Is she pooping?

I'd watch that she's eating/drinking and pooping.
Sounds like she may have a crop problem which is not very common in tiny chicks like that or you may want to look inside her beak to makes sure a hair, string or debris isn't stuck in the beak.

Photos? Chicks, brooder?

Check her crop, what's that like?
Is she pooping?

I'd watch that she's eating/drinking and pooping.
Sounds like she may have a crop problem which is not very common in tiny chicks like that or you may want to look inside her beak to makes sure a hair, string or debris isn't stuck in the beak.
I’m fairly certain she has sour crop. She hasn’t been pooping and eating and drinking is less frequent. Nothing stuck to beak, but can anyone recommend a good probiotic?

Back
Top Bottom