EMERGENCY deformed chick struggling to eat normally

Hi my Bantam mixed hen, Moon, hatched out 15 chicks. One chick appeared odd out of the rest of them. He had no problem eating the first week. Then, he started developing this 'glob' on the bottom of his beak. His upper beak is longer than his bottom beak. None of the parents or grandparents had these defects. His embryo was normal like everyone else. Now he is struggling to swallow food and I don't know what's wrong or what to do. Theres saliva and food residue all over his face. He's now a little over 4 weeks old and developed this at week 2 1/2. First two photos are of week 1. 3rd is wk 2 1/2. 4th is a photo of his sibling. Last two are of him today. Please help this poor little guy!
Are you sure that his tongue isn’t stuck down in his throat? I’ve seen multiple threads about birds with this issue (they usually swallowed a thread which pulled their tongue down). And it looks very similar.

I find that the less traumatic (for Me) option is to drown them, give them kisses before and after and tell them how sorry I am. Still a horrible option, but if they have no chance of being able to fend for themselves at some point, then it is cruelty to the chick as well.

Or keep it as a house pet with diapers, special feeding routine and lots of care. I am sure it is capable of love, but probably not capable of the good life of a chicken.

I had to make that decision recently and it broke my heart. But the chick would not be able to walk other than on its "ankles" as the toes would not leave the position that they were it the egg. Usually deformities in my chicks seem to occur with the last couple of eggs that take much more time to hatch than their siblings. I made the decision to end its life early rather than prolong its' agony.

I find that the less traumatic (for Me) option is to drown them, give them kisses before and after and tell them how sorry I am. Still a horrible option, but if they have no chance of being able to fend for themselves at some point, then it is cruelty to the chick as well.

Or keep it as a house pet with diapers, special feeding routine and lots of care. I am sure it is capable of love, but probably not capable of the good life of a chicken.

I had to make that decision recently and it broke my heart. But the chick would not be able to walk other than on its "ankles" as the toes would not leave the position that they were it the egg. Usually deformities in my chicks seem to occur with the last couple of eggs that take much more time to hatch than their siblings. I made the decision to end its life early rather than prolong its' agony.
I'm sorry but drowning is very inhumane.

Do not be sorry for how you feel, but this problem needs a solution, so offer a solution that you find sutiable for you and for the little chick.

To me it is more humane than stomping on its' head or cutting it off with a sharp pair of shears. But that is the solution that was most suitable for those who chose those options.

Hi my Bantam mixed hen, Moon, hatched out 15 chicks. One chick appeared odd out of the rest of them. He had no problem eating the first week. Then, he started developing this 'glob' on the bottom of his beak. His upper beak is longer than his bottom beak. None of the parents or grandparents had these defects. His embryo was normal like everyone else. Now he is struggling to swallow food and I don't know what's wrong or what to do. Theres saliva and food residue all over his face. He's now a little over 4 weeks old and developed this at week 2 1/2. First two photos are of week 1. 3rd is wk 2 1/2. 4th is a photo of his sibling. Last two are of him today. Please help this poor little guy!
did he end up making it? I have found in my time keeping chickens, that chicks with defects may overcome the defect that we can visually see, but end up passing from an internal issue as well.

Back
Top Bottom