Lost a chick

Dzzzyd

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 9, 2007
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Today one of my chicks got out and one of the dogs killed her.
sad.png
No blood just dead. No one is talking. Brutus, the Chihuahua and the Cocker both act guilty. I think a joint effort. It was Alice, my Silver Lace Wyandotte. My dear sweet husband was so sympathtic he took me right down to the feed store to get not one, but two chicks. He said the new young one would be too lonely by itself. It's sad, but that's one way to enlarge my flock. I have gone from two to three chickens now. Poor Flo, my Buff Orp, will be lonely for awhile, but the little ones will catch up soon enough and join her. The new gals on the block are a RIR and a Bar Rock. What was soooo surprising was how much Flo had grown when I compared sizes. WOW! They do grow fast. I think I have a nice variety now. I hope they all get along. How long will I have to wait before I can test waters with them together. A couple of weeks?

Sorry for your loss.
sad.png
If its a few days older I think you can put them together. If they are a month or more seperated try putting them together but see what happens. If they fight or don't get along then wait a few more weeks.

They will always try to do that even after a pecking order is established. When I used to have 3 roosters I introduced another and they pecked ech other for the first day. The next few days they avoided each other. After a week of seeing each other they were friends. This all happened when the roos were all 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom