Lost a magpie duckling last night :'(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jennajolynne, May 19, 2017.

1. jennajolynne

jennajolynne Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Last night I got home from work and noticed one of my three two-week old ducklings wasn't walking around. It was the magpie duckling which was the weakest upon arrival but I nursed her back to health. Her foot was curled up into itself and she looked weak. She has always been smaller than the other two ( one is a rouen, the other a blue Swedish). I got on here and looked at some other peoples posts and I splinted her little foot onto a fitted piece of cardboard with medical tape and I put electrolyte solution into her water and made her drink some. She just laid lifeless in my arms and called for the other two. I laid her close to the food and water and the other two came right over and laid next to her to keep her warm. I have been feeding them duck and game feed so I thought that would be sufficient with what they need for nutrients. The other two along with my five week old pekins are thriving. I cut them up fresh fruit and vegetables and put it in their water for treats and give them meal worms and such. Is there something I did wrong or could have done to prevent her death? I feel so terrible. :'(

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The poor little thing...It almost sounds like a heart defect?...Sorry for your loss...:hugs

Best wishes with your other Ducklings....:frow

3. jennajolynne

jennajolynne Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Thank you!:frow

chickens really likes this.
  4. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    :hugs

It sounds like you tried everything you could of done, but unfortunately it does sometimes happen :(. Try not to blame yourself and try to focus on your other two lil' duckies.

Charlotte

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by