lost a peafowl this morning...

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
noticed yesterday that he seemed 'droopy'...his wings were lowered even...
took him out and put in seperate pen/cage...did what I could but this morning
he was dead...he was 10-11 months old and I only had him for 1 1/2 - 2 months now....

it's hard to know whats wrong when they don't talk....

also had a guinea pass the day before...the guinea showed no signs of being sick..
just droopyish again but just slightly.....he actually came up to me in the pen...
letting me pick him up so I knew he was sick and took him out....before I could
get him in a cage he had a 'seizure' of sorts and died...

ALL the other peas and guineas seem fine......wormed pen yesterday....

what do I need to do to protect my babies in case I have an unknown killer
in their pen??

I've had peas and guineas for a year or so but this with my pea has me puzzled
but believe the 2 deaths are due to seperate causes........
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your loss...How old was your guy ? :(
I can't be of much help, hopefully more experienced people will stop by to help figure the issue.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Was there any sign of injury, perhaps to the head. I'm wondering if it may have been frightened by a predator or other animal and injured itself.

Oh ouch, you lost a Peacock too?!?!
hit.gif
So sorry for your losses!

Just curious, what did you worm the whole pen with? And what dosage did you use? Did you worm the Peacock too before he died? Not sure what took your Guinea from you (maybe a genetic abnormality or underlying disease, even a small head injury from spooking in the coop at night?)... but if it was the first time you've wormed your flock and you used a broad spectrum wormer... maybe the Peacock that died had a heavy wormload and the toxins from the dead worms caused his death, or maybe a blockage or internal bleeding? Or possibly an accidental wormer over dose, or reaction to the wormer? (I'm just guessing, thinking outloud... I hate not knowing what the cause of death is and so I try to think of every possible reason).

Again, so sorry for your losses. Hope the rest of the flock is fine!
fl.gif
(If you lose any more birds, I suggest having a necropsy done if you can afford it and know a vet that can do one for you!)

I am really sorry for your loss. There are a lot of people's peafowl dying all of a sudden and I wish that were not so. I hope your other peas will be okay.

The pen was wormed just before taking the pea out of the pen however I don't think
I saw him eat or drink anything before he came out of the pen let alone even after he
was in his own cage but I can't say for sure....I wormed with Corid...1 teaspoon to the gallon
of water...
I had no signs of either bird being sick so if that is the case how do I tell if anyone else
could be sick too.....the pea and guinea both seemed 'droopy' before dying but not enough
time before each died...???....

spending alot of time in/at their pen to study each of them for any little sign.....whew...hard work!
th.gif

thanks for all of your input!!!

So sorry for your loss,
hugs.gif

i too have lost a hen recently it is very sad but i know what killed mine and she went very fast before i knew what was wrong.
PS Corid is for coccidia , i use safe guard for goats to worm my peas.

Back
Top Bottom