Lost and found quail? Advice please

Soph_quail

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
We lost one of our quail about a month ago. She impressively flew over our fence and kept on flying and we didn’t see her again. Yesterday we were united with a quail somebody had found that looks a lot like the quail we had lost. Her mannerisms are very similar and her personality but her coat is a touch lighter than that of the one we lost (more gray-ish) shes in pretty bad condition with very damaged wings, an overgrown beak, very under weight and a large wound on her back but otherwise quite alert and friendly. I’m just wondering if this could be our quail? If she moultedwhile she was out there and developed a lighter coat? A lot of my other birds look very different now they’ve moulted (often a lot darker or new patterns). So I’m just wondering if this could be my bird? Or if I’ve acquired a new one? I’ll attach photos. The first one is of my bird that went missing and the other three of the new bird. The last photo is quite poor but gives an idea of her colouring. Thanks.
21387664-EEFC-447D-AC60-E43FE35E7121.png
8566D6E2-188D-4D5E-BE0B-8E711EF7E17F.png
F8C2F027-46E7-453A-989C-4F653CF8EDE6.png
41609CC3-D335-4A9C-B9FA-9D02F5670E12.png

The first image is a Pharaoh-wildtype quail. The other bird is a Falb fee (Fee color + wildtype pattern). Quail don’t change their genetic feather color in molt, so you have a new quail.
I'm not seeing a different color, but I have a hard time determining most quail feathering. What is it in the fee color that distinguishes the second bird? @Soph_quail would you describe your original bird brown or grey? If it was more brownish, then @shrimpsilkies is right -- you have a new bird. Wow, what are the odds. Amazing.

I'm not seeing a different color, but I have a hard time determining most quail feathering. What is it in the fee color that distinguishes the second bird? @Soph_quail would you describe your original bird brown or grey? If it was more brownish, then @shrimpsilkies is right -- you have a new bird. Wow, what are the odds. Amazing.
#1 color looks more brownish, stripe markings are more yellow buff than pure white, eyes are amber, whereas the second bird is clearly Falb Fee and has the dark gray eyes associated with what I think is homozygous Fee. The second bird has molted (winter beard) as well.
60E2F26D-C39B-4DBE-978D-681260669D25.jpeg
C22F974B-61DF-4098-93AD-DD4F188027EB.jpeg
My wildtype and homozygous Falb Fee for comparison.

#1 color looks more brownish, stripe markings are more yellow buff than pure white, eyes are amber, whereas the second bird is clearly Falb Fee and has the dark gray eyes associated with what I think is homozygous Fee. The second bird has molted (winter beard) as well. View attachment 2556074View attachment 2556075My wildtype and homozygous Falb Fee for comparison.
Are these types of quail rare? I googled them and it said they were but not sure. Thanks for the help!

So do I thats why I thought I’d ask for help! I know trust me I’m just as surprised as you!

Are these types of quail rare? I googled them and it said they were but not sure. Thanks for the help!
Pharaoh are probably the most common color of all, being the wildtype or “normal” color of quail. Fee is a relatively new gene to the US and one of the less common colors but they aren’t super rare since they’ve been reproduced extensively here.

Wow! This story is very interesting! I think that they aren’t the same bird because of their mutations but they both are so adorable! 🥰 It’s a shame about your first bird but I think once you lose something like that it’s not too common to get it back. The first birds mutation is the most common and the new one (even though looking similar) is ‘rarer’ because it’s a newer mutation in the US. I’m not too sure if they’re available where I am but I love fall-fees! :)

Back
Top Bottom