1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost another Roo

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tmec, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Tmec

Tmec Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Saturday morning we found our second roo laying dead in the run. I am not extremely upset since it was a supposed hen turned Roo and we already have an older roo but nevertheless it concerns me since it could have been one of our hens

It appears he had a broken neck. I think a raccoon climbed the A frame wire and reached through the chicken wire and grabbed the roo from the outdoor roost perch. It must have dropped it before it got the head through the wire. No sign of anything entering the run.

We nailed a sheet of tin over the outside roosting perch. Since coons are very industrious they will problably try to tear open the chickenwire next. So we are planning to reinforce the botton 3 ft on the run area with rabbit wire.

It looks like the racoons are getting very active with cooler weather coming soon. So beware.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by