LOst My first baby today'

big m70726

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
sad.png
I had my baby hens their about 4 or 5 weeks old I guess they have their feathers and my baby goose which idk how old make same age in a box together and one of my babies got under the corner of the blanet and I guess lucy the goose sleep on her and smoothered her woke up and did my lil head count and she was gone. my heart is broken. MY husband is still makein fun bc I buried a 1 inch bird men can be so cruel sometimes.

Last edited:
Thank ya! But now I feel horriable lost another one today. What am I doing wrong? I put a light last night instead of the blankets they stayed away from the light so I put the blankets back in this morning same thing another one caught under the blanket dead . I am just killin my babbies with my igerance plzs help? should I get a colored bulb maybe its to bright?

Get rid of the blankets. Put some pine shavings, paper towel, shredded newspaper, or sand in your brooder box. Are you sure they are smothering or could they be sick with coccidia? They could be getting too hot. Are you checking temperatures down on their level? They don't need much heat at 4-5 weeks--maybe 75 degrees or less.

Are they 4 or 5 weeks old, not days? If 4 or 5 weeks old, don't need much of a light, and probably can go without blanket, just regular bedding. Are they inside or out? Sometimes you will lose them at this age, no matter what, don't beat yourself up over this, it happens. But I would avoid blanket, maybe separate the big girl if it seems to be a problem. At 4 or 5 weeks, I think you will be safe without lights or blanket, maybe even a make shift roost a few inches off ground. Mine were ready for coop at about that age without light in the spring. Good luck.

Last edited:
yea found them wrapped in the blanket I guess they coulnt get out and was to close to the heat pad .went and got a heat bulb so maby we will be ok for tonight put pine shave in in there and that new bulb . pray for me I only have 3 babies left and lucy my baby goose

yea I have pics of them on my page but i have them inside and it gets cold but i have them in my bathroom.bring them out durin the day to free range with my adult chicks .

Our posts crossed paths, unless it is cold out (I mean really cold), I think you can get rid of heat pad too. Just bedding, at 4-5 weeks, I think they will be fine. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom