1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost my first chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vortec, Mar 4, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    It hurt a lot. I went out to the coop Tuesday morning after a 16-17 degree night and found that a chick had not survived the encounter. It happened to be a packing peanut roo that was included in the order but none the less, it still hurt. Now I know why some people wait until its warm to get chicks. I now have two 250W red heat bulbs on them until the weather gets out of the teens and twenties. I never knew losing a chick would be this hard

vortec

2. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I'm sorry about your chick. How old are they? Make sure they stay the reccomended warmth. So important. What kind do you have?

3. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I know you are hurt about losing the chicken, but before your start using heating lamps, please make sure there all secure and no way able to be tipped overor near something that can be overheated and catch fire. Even if they are secure there is always a chance using electric heating lamp that it can catch fire, especialy with excessive amount of hay. I have had my own coop burnt down and lost everything. And I thought everything was secure. It hurts worse then anything. Safety first!

Sorry about your loss [​IMG]

ETA: You need to make sure your cage is very clean to, chicken poop has a ton
    of chemicals and can spotaniously combust.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Darn it! I hate that you lost one....sorry.

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Also, with a heating lamp try and keep the cord up. I have had 6 month old chickens peck through it during the winter. Not good at all

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It is painful, no matter how old they are, no matter how many you have. Sorry for the loss. RIP little fella....

7. mommathea

mommathea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm so sorry. I just lost my first chick the other day. It is so hard to loose a chick. I was surprised on how I felt about it.

8. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    So sorry you lost one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by