Lost my first chicken today..RIP Sugar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NicChicks2013, Nov 18, 2013.

1. NicChicks2013

NicChicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Galloway, NJ
    She was just laying in the pen. It was so sad, showed no sign of illness. I wanted to cry, silly maybe, had to handle calmly for my little tot. I wish I knew why she passed. I do not think the husband will go for autopsy on a chicken and hope the other three hens will be ok..just broke my heart, I will miss my Sugar
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Having just a few chickens, you are really going to miss one. She may have died of a heart ailment or another organ problem. A lot of chickens pass away suddenly under a year old for some reason, although I'm not sure of Sugar's age.

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

That is why you must not get inlove with your chickens, sorry girl, get some more in her place, the more you have the less pain when one dies

4. NicChicks2013

NicChicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    Galloway, NJ
    Thank you Eggcessive, she was only about 5-6 months. Was kind of awkward explaining to a four year old..he really wanted to get deep about the subject. When I first got the chickens my father who grew up on a horse/chicken farm gave his advice "Don't name them" I guess I will find a nice medium to dealing with flock issues. We will be adding to the flock next spring, will have to get another Cochin, maybe a roo and name him SugaRoo :) in memory..My dad would roll his eye..Gonna a little worried for the others for some time..if was heart issue then they should be good I guess.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by