Lost my little Silver Laced Wyandotte today

I am sorry you lost her. Because I thought Silver Laced Wyandottes looked like the prettiest chicken I bought 4 of them when they had them at a Hay and Grain store near me that sells chicks year-round. The owner said that they don't get these in that often. Seems that others are saying similar things, that these aren't as commonly sold as some of the other breeds. I actually ended up thinking I bought too many, and wanted to trade a couple, because I had planned on only 4 chickens total but I wanted some different breeds. I ended up buying 4 additional chicks for a total of 8. The Silver Laced Wyandottes are the oldest now at 2 weeks and all 4 seem quite healthy. ONe of them outshines the others as the most curious and intelligent-acting of the flock: perhaps she'll be at the top of the pecking order.

Deborah

I posted last week that my GLW from MPC was big and healthy.
Now at 3 weeks she is sick.
sad.png

She is lethargic and won't eat.. I don't know what is wrong w/ her.

Quote:
I am so sorry. Make sure that you aren't giving too much of the electrolytes. My first group of chicks did well on it, but I got a little lax about measuring, and found that if the water was too yellow for a couple of days (mixed too strong) they got tired looking by the 2nd.

I hope she perks up soon.

Quote:
You make an excellent point! It's easy to find ourselves just 'eye-balling' a measurement that we make on a daily basis. Sometimes nature gives us gentle reminders that something isn't right (such as our chicks getting tired) before we get the jolting reminder (severely ill or dead chicks); and that 'more' is definitely not 'better' when it comes to supplements of any kind.

I'm so very sorry that your SLW passed
hugs.gif
- but I'm happy that you at least have your other babies to love!

Quote:
You make an excellent point! It's easy to find ourselves just 'eye-balling' a measurement that we make on a daily basis. Sometimes nature gives us gentle reminders that something isn't right (such as our chicks getting tired) before we get the jolting reminder (severely ill or dead chicks); and that 'more' is definitely not 'better' when it comes to supplements of any kind.

I'm so very sorry that your SLW passed
hugs.gif
- but I'm happy that you at least have your other babies to love!

Thanks. She simply wasn't growing at all. The others are a hardy lot. Very nice little cliche of future hens. The get a long so well, and other than that little gliche of the lytes, they are so great. I really hope I don't have any trouble integrating them with the others that I am planning to keep once they have matured a bit.

I just read your signature line - I love the part about being an irritation to the entire city council and one chicken-hating neighbor!!
lau.gif

Hang in there - and keep on keepin' on!
thumbsup.gif

sad.png
sorry to hear about that.

There is a guy in the Satsop area that sells SLW's I picked up 5 from him this Spring. A friend got 6 young laying hens from him about 2 months ago as well. Sometimes he advertises in the Farm and Garden section of Thurston county CL. If you're interested I'll see if I can dig up his information.

weaveagarden, I don't live too far away and my SLW's are within a couple weeks of your flock's age if my math adds up. we received the girls first week of Aug. We are fairly new to chickens and I purchased extra in case we had any losses during shipping, first couple days.. etc. we had no losses (yay!) and the young ones have been free ranging with our older EE's for the last week or so and had no problems thus far. if you'd like one or two of the SLW's we could meet halfway...

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Oh know!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope she comes around.

No pasty bottom or blocked crop or anything like that?

No pasty butt, but her crop feels empty like she hasn't been eating....
I don;t know what is wrong with her.

I haven't been giving them electrolytles.

I force fed her some yogurt w/ a drop of poly vi sol added...​

Back
Top Bottom