Lost one of my girls :(

RitzHomestead

Chirping
Feb 19, 2015
Marble Hill, GA
I have transitioned my chicks which are 5 weeks old and completley feathered out into the coop that I just finished up on Saturday. I also put the red light in there to help with the transition and they all were very happy with the extra room. Well we finished the run up as well on Saturday and on Sunday which was beautiful outside 75 degrees I let them out in the run for the day. Well my smallest one that we named Jordan escaped the run in a spot that I missed and she would be the only one that would even be able to fit through the spot. Well I saw her for a split second and sat there trying to get her to come out to me, but she is the most skittish one of the group and ran away from me. Well there is the large brush/thorn pile that is impossible to get through that the birds or squirrels have made tunnels inside the thorny brush that she went running into and I spent over two hours trying to get her to come out of there. She never reappeared. :( I even set out food for her outside of the tunnel so if she does decide to come out of it. Checked this morning and still no sign of her. I couldn't sleep last night just thinking about it and I feel so bad. Tough lesson learned yesterday...

Have you considered trying to "bait her in" using one of your other chicks. In other words, put a chick in a wire cage next to the thorn pile to see if it will draw her out. The single chick in the cage will most likely call and call, hoping to find it's flock mates. This might draw in the lost chick. No guarantees, but it's worth a shot.

I can really feel for you, as I lost a 6-week old EE bantam in a similar situation. A friend was watching our chicks while we were away and it escaped from the run. She searched for it, but never found it. So sad! I still miss "Blue Eyes".

Back
Top Bottom