Lost one this morning

Gophfer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
Newberry, FL (in Gilchrist County)
One of our almost 4 week old australorps babies died this morning. She had been having problems for about a week. Constant crying no matter hot or cool, difficulty breathing, hunched over almost like she was tripoding for congestive heart failure. the other girls in the brooder were unaffected. We tried everything, meds, warmer brooder since she looked like she was cold, electrolytes, her appetite was good and would perk up and fight for her share of treats until she wore out. From my experience with people as a former paramedic, I think she had a congenital heart defect. We were sorry to lose Rachael but are happy the other girls are OK.

So sorry for your loss.

My experience with baby chicks has been that when you get a constant cheeper they always die, unfortunately. I don't know why. Out of the 300 or so chicks I've raised I've had about 5 constant peepers, they don't eat, drink, rarely sleep--they just cheep. It is so sad--my guess is "failure to thrive." When I get a newborn like this I know it's bad and the outcome. Anyone else have this experience?

Back
Top Bottom