Lost one to a hawk today. :(

Citychick11

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2014
I have one hen that habitually roosts in the cedar tree. Since the others roost in the coop, I have stopped trying to get her down, and just leave her there. However, it was bad for her today, because she was alone in the yard when a hawk came by for lunch. She might have been safer if everyone else was out foraging with her, but she was alone. A small hawk got her. I saw it the other day chasing a robin. The hawk was just smaller than a bantam chicken. Ironically, her name was Hawk Feather. She was a beautiful brown Americauna who laid green eggs. I was preparing to breed her for her green eggs... :(

So now I am afraid to let the others out of the coop. I can keep them in an enclosed fence, or free range them, or keep them cooped up. My rooster is very protective, so he would do well to protect them. The coop and enclosure are under a cedar tree. I think that helps, but I don't know how well. I could use some advice about scaring away the hawk. Either that, or the hawk will move on when the chickens are cooped up for a week or so. Shall I try that?

Thanks in advance.

hawk experience has taught me that ; yes the hawk will be back possibly several times a day, yes your coop must be locked down for the time being until you see the hawk is not returning, no a cedar tree only provides a handy waiting area from which he can select a victim, you need a netted enclosure, yes the hawk will remember your premises for his entire hunting life. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom