Lost One Today

Desert Rooster

El Gallo Del Desierto
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
Hesperia, Ca
I never thought it would happen to me, but i was wrong. I lost my first hen today due to the heat, and the reason i post this here on Predators and Pests is because the heat is somewhat of a Predator and or a Pest during the summer.

I lost one of my Choclate brown EE's named Muffy. I got her in a poultry show last December and she was such a friendly hen, she became friendly after i treated her when she was sick a while back https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=459891 .

I didnt know how hard it was to loose one till now, I know that some people say that "they are just chickens", but when you raise them , protect them, care for them when they become sick, they become more than "Just Chickens", they become like part of the family.

Muffy, you will be missed, RIP
hit.gif
sad.png

Sorry for your loss.Heat is a concern for me since my chickens are in a metal shed that really cooks them!

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. Our coop is plywood enclosed with metal siding, and down here in southern Texas, the heat has been brutal. I have read that drafts are not good for chickens, but I have been putting on a window fan every night for my girls. When my husband built the coop, he put the windows up fairly high, so the fan sits well above the roosts, and I do not know if it helps or not, but at least the air moves!

Back
Top Bottom