Lost One Today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Desert Rooster, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I never thought it would happen to me, but i was wrong. I lost my first hen today due to the heat, and the reason i post this here on Predators and Pests is because the heat is somewhat of a Predator and or a Pest during the summer.

I lost one of my Choclate brown EE's named Muffy. I got her in a poultry show last December and she was such a friendly hen, she became friendly after i treated her when she was sick a while back https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=459891 .

I didnt know how hard it was to loose one till now, I know that some people say that "they are just chickens", but when you raise them , protect them, care for them when they become sick, they become more than "Just Chickens", they become like part of the family.

Muffy, you will be missed, RIP [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss.Heat is a concern for me since my chickens are in a metal shed that really cooks them!

3. English Teacher

English Teacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    I am sorry and sad.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    They do go from livestock to pets pretty easily. It is never easy to lose one, but why is it always the sweet ones that die?[​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    She looked JUST like the one in your avitar [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. dancingsquirrel

dancingsquirrel Out Of The Brooder

Sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

7. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    First of all, I am so sorry for your loss. Our coop is plywood enclosed with metal siding, and down here in southern Texas, the heat has been brutal. I have read that drafts are not good for chickens, but I have been putting on a window fan every night for my girls. When my husband built the coop, he put the windows up fairly high, so the fan sits well above the roosts, and I do not know if it helps or not, but at least the air moves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by