Lost our first chicken

Sorry for your loss. I tell everyone my chicken run is predator resistant, but it's not predator proof. A determined dog can break out of, or into, a dog kennel made from that heavy kennel wire. I use 2X4 welded wire for the fencing and a dog kennel gate panel for my access. It is good enough to keep out curious animals, but a determined dog would be able to break through. I just hope that my fencing slows down the animal enough that my chickens can retreat into the coop for safety. I hope....

So sorry for your your loss! :hugs Let us know what kind of electric fencing you end up using if you do. Been thinking about getting some of that myself.

AND happy to hear the dog only got one! Yay for the other 3 happy peeps!:lol:

They have one of those underground fences, with the shock collar. Their dog has never gotten out before, and has never been aggressive before. The chickens just set off his instincts, I guess. Luckily our kids were in the house the whole time.
Oh good!
They seriously need to re-evaluate the time they spend working with this dog.
Showed some true colors.
But... they probably won’t.
If it were my dog it’s “punishment” would be teaching it boundaries. Discipline is different than punishment.
It requires WORK on the owners part.
Just sayin’

Granted, the posts were only those fairly flimsy ones you get at Lowes that are about 3x3, so that could have been better, but it was what we could afford at the time to expand the run. When the dog rammed into the wire, it broke the post and the wire came free, peeling it down, inward.
A dog breaking a 3x3 post is pretty crazy!
Curious for learning purposes, not looking to criticize.

I have 3 wires except behind the coops where I have one or two wires. I have an AC fence charger. I use poly rope wire. It works good. Shortly after I put it up I had critters test it. Now they are all wise to it.
2014-11-18 17.08.57.jpg

This is the charger I have, it puts out around 9000 volts which is enough to make my heart skip a few beats. Here we have mostly coyotes.
Zareba 25 Mile Charger.jpg

This is a picture from one of my game cameras around 7am the other morning, a coyote behind some of the coops.
DSCF000278 05Rev.jpg

A dog breaking a 3x3 post is pretty crazy!
Curious for learning purposes, not looking to criticize.

Actually, it isn't at all. A large dog, moving at speed, will positively hit that with enough strength to snap it .. or it's replacement. Those posts, most commonly at Home Depot type places, are for marker posts, not structural. They are a cheap, low grade wood that is full of weak areas and they rot quickly. A better post and probably about the same cost would be the heavy steel green T posts for livestock fencing. It is what I used, not the thinner, shorter U ones sold for gardens. They do have to be pounded in with a post driver tool. Sometimes, the farm places that sell these posts will also rent you the tool to pound them in for a minimal fee. Not only will you be able to string electric wire on these easily, once they are pounded in and set, I have also now attached wood posts to them for structural additions to the run. They will not rot and are beyond sturdy. Places like Rural King and Tractor Supply even deliver them. Make sure you get ones at least 6 feet long, 7 is better, to allow for the length of post that you hammer into the ground (at least 12 inches).
iu

I didn't think you would. I have seen others jump in and criticize though, on other posts. I feel bad enough. The posts were already weakened by humidity and lots of rain. My second mistake was to not seal them as well as I should have. The dog barreled into them from a distance and it just snapped. I saw it happen. I was in rhe house and saw the dog in the front yard. He smelled the chickens apparently because I saw him flat out run from the road towards the back yard. I ran out the garage door in time to see him smash into the run and the post snap. I saw him grab the chicken, and tried to get it away, but he wouldn't let go.
I had just taken the kids pictures three days ago, and my daughter had hers taken with the chicken that died. They were going on our mantle. Those came in today, in the mail. My daughter started bawling. She's 11, so she understands death, but still.
I’m so sorry. There’re our little pets. It’s a loss that hurts your heart. Some folks keep their chickens differently for different reasons. Some folks just don’t understand the connection we have with these little personalities. Pet chickens are just different. :hugs
I can’t imagine being eleven and dealing with this. It’s hard enough as an adult. Her lil’ chicken had a blessed life. Perhaps remind her of that.

Actually, it isn't at all. A large dog, moving at speed, will positively hit that with enough strength to snap it .. or it's replacement. Those posts, most commonly at Home Depot type places, are for marker posts, not structural. They are a cheap, low grade wood that is full of weak areas and they rot quickly. A better post and probably about the same cost would be the heavy steel green T posts for livestock fencing. It is what I used, not the thinner, shorter U ones sold for gardens. They do have to be pounded in with a post driver tool. Sometimes, the farm places that sell these posts will also rent you the tool to pound them in for a minimal fee. Not only will you be able to string electric wire on these easily, once they are pounded in and set, I have also now attached wood posts to them for structural additions to the run. They will not rot and are beyond sturdy. Places like Rural King and Tractor Supply even deliver them. Make sure you get ones at least 6 feet long, 7 is better, to allow for the length of post that you hammer into the ground (at least 12 inches).
iu

Thank you! I had never even thought of using something like this...how do you attach the hardware cloth? Or do you just use these for the electric fence around the run?

I am sorry your family is dealing with the loss. :hugs

I know my old dog in his prime could have done some serious damage to a fence.

A few years ago a pullet went left when she should have gone right. She ended up in the gigantic dog run. Yup the dogs were in there. All heck broke loose but I got her in the nick of time.

I know how fast things can go bad is what I am saying. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom