Lost our first girl - GOT A PIC OF THE EVIL PREDATOR!

It took 9 months for the hawks to find me too. They got 2 of my ducks before we figured it out. I ran a clothes line from a fence to a grape arbor next to their night pen and put deer netting over the top. No more losses but I do miss them wandering around the whole back yard.

Quote:
I second that you have to net and fence, coopers hawks will walk up to hens on the ground and kill them. (if those chickens had any sense they could take on that hawk on the ground, but they don't.) There really is no other fool -proof way.

Easist way to get a thread locked is to write about shooting a hawk can't believe ppl are blatenly stating this on an open web forum we've been through this already!!!

I had a problem with a Coppers hawk. It was like it watched me and if I left for a little while or stayed inside to long he would get a bird. The only thing that stopped him was completly covering the run...

Good luck..

I think i remember reading when we had our owl problem, that you could try and scare them away. I could be wrong. But maybe waiting for it and when it lands blow a blow horn? That might freak it out. Could you have a rooster? Then hopefully you would lose him first. There cheap to replace.

Congrats Ninny!!!! We too are expecting our 2nd - March 31st - wahoo!!! On the chicken/hawk note. We all know that killing is out of the question, so that should end that topic. My run is completely enclosed w/ wire fencing - nothing can get in, but the girls are so unhappy. I am going to add on to it, then when Spring roles around, the leaves will be back on the trees - providing more cover - we will try ranging again at that time. As for a Roo, yes we have one. His name is ToeJam - he is an Americauna. He is very docile, he gives ground to my 3 year old son, that is why we like him so much; the down side is he my not have the cahones to defend the flock!

^ That's weird as that's the mental picture that popped into my head... my Gran had a palm size air horn that she blew if she had a breathing attack... I just pictured her hustling outside (funny in itself) honking that horn and saying SHOO!

Wonder if it would work... of course... the neon orange beanie she took to wearing... with the tropical print parrot shirt... and the gold pants mighta helped too.

Some folks say if you hang old CDs around your coop and run it will scare the hawks away.

Don't get yourself into trouble by taking out a Federally protected bird(they are a pain, but they are what they are).

Yup...

They are just tryin' to make a livin'
tongue.png

Get a good chicken dog!
old.gif
I caught our (up til now) worthless heeler-mix dog chasing off a hawk that got too close to the chickens yesterday. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!
ep.gif
She is outside with them all day, and lets them climb all over her, so I guess when the roo gave the alarm, she looked up. Unfortunately, she also chased off our beautiful blue heron that likes our pond.
sad.png
That's ok, though. I'd rather her be too protective than not at all. I think no big birds are going to be getting too close now!
thumbsup.gif

Mine free range, so there's no way for fencing and netting. Good luck with yours!

So sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif
It's always the favorites they get.
hit.gif

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom