Lost our first so I built this, thoughts?

rcahill

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2019
Lost our first to a hawk (1 of 16 at 12 weeks). They were out of the coop free ranging. We don't want to have to always be there or keep them in the coop (with a run). I built a PVC with bird netting mobile run and I think it's going to work... thoughts?
202001 Mobil coop.jpg

Good idea, but with that many chickens in it I think you will soon have a major pecking problem. They need space and a way to get away from each other. I also don't see any food or water in there.

They are eating the greenery. They love it. Also, if it's only an hour do they need water when they are going back to the coop with water? I would add water if longer or if it was warm. I didn't think about pecking.

Nice and light structure! I’d be tempted to build an identical one, and cover only three sides, plus top of each. Then move it in position for the day, putting open sides together, clip/attach at a couple of points closed. So half the size/ easily handled.

yes, you should always have water. My reasoning, in my life, is I might get involved with something else and all of a sudden it’s 2 hours later and sun has shifted, and they are hot and thirsty! I’d see if I could attach two mounts where a cross piece could go in a corner and hang a waterer from that.

last thing: if there might be a loose dog or a determined fox, you might think of replacing or reinforcing the lower half of the thin bird netting with something additional -even thicker poly fencing, since this is just an occasional run, meant for short periods of time.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but it is too small (for even an hour). Also, why would they be in only an hour? It seems like it be a lot of trouble to herd them in there for such a short time. Those materials are thankfully affordable and light enough that you could make two more pretty easily. I do like the idea!

Also, you might be actually adding a bit of danger compared to free ranging. If there is a stray dog, fox, mink or large cat around, chickens usually scatter; here they are sitting ducks. Ground predators won't have any trouble getting in there, but panicked chickens probably won't be able to get out. I agree that poly fencing (for a short time period, day time run) is a good reinforcer, and only a bit more expensive.

I would provide water as well.

I think it's a chicken trap that many predators would love to enter, sorry.
Also, there's no shade or water available, and it's way too small for it's intended purpose.
For ground predators, electric fencing, either electrified poultry netting, or multiple lines of electric wire or rope, would be better.
For raptors, keeping them inside a covered area for two or three weeks makes a difference, after an attack. The hawk most likely will give up and move on elsewhere.
Having sheltered places for them to hide under helps too; pallets on blocks, shrubbery, bird netting overhead, all useful.
@Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com are good resources for ideas about this.
A movable hoop coop works pretty well too, and @aart has photos of her run that are impressive, complete with lurking hawk!
Mary

I think it's a chicken trap that many predators would love to enter, sorry.
Also, there's no shade or water available, and it's way too small for it's intended purpose.
For ground predators, electric fencing, either electrified poultry netting, or multiple lines of electric wire or rope, would be better.
For raptors, keeping them inside a covered area for two or three weeks makes a difference, after an attack. The hawk most likely will give up and move on elsewhere.
Having sheltered places for them to hide under helps too; pallets on blocks, shrubbery, bird netting overhead, all useful.
@Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com are good resources for ideas about this.
A movable hoop coop works pretty well too, and @aart has photos of her run that are impressive, complete with lurking hawk!
Mary

They might give up for a while, but they will definitely try again. I can't prove that it's the same hawk that visits me every year, just to check up on my bird situation, but I'm pretty sure it is.

This is what happen to my birds when a hawk got into a covered pen. These are just a few of the bodies I got out. Mostly pullets almost ready to lay. Sad to say the electric wire didn't prevent this but does protect against other predators. It got through some crappy netting that was covering part of the pens, which I have since replaced with some good netting.
IMG_20190911_173150.jpg

Here is an owl going through the crappy netting in another pen after it already killed a couple of birds a couple of nights before. I move the birds to another coop and pen and the owl came back but there were no birds in there. I replaced the crappy netting with another piece of crappy netting but the owl went right through it. I have since replaced it with some good heavy duty netting.
DSCF00031125 01.jpg

This is what happen to my birds when a hawk got into a covered pen. These are just a few of the bodies I got out. Mostly pullets almost ready to lay. Sad to say the electric wire didn't prevent this but does protect against other predators. It got through some crappy netting that was covering part of the pens, which I have since replaced with some good netting.
View attachment 2000712
Here is an owl going through the crappy netting in another pen after it already killed a couple of birds a couple of nights before. I move the birds to another coop and pen and the owl came back but there were no birds in there. I replaced the crappy netting with another piece of crappy netting but the owl went right through it. I have since replaced it with some good heavy duty netting.View attachment 2000721
By crappy net, do you mean the standard bird net? And by heavy duty net do you mean poly netting?

Back
Top Bottom