Lost power, temp drop to 96*

I will get some pics later today! We now have 3 out and 1 stuck, he is so big I dont see how he managed to pip at all! There was no room left, I have the shell off mostly, his beak is sticking out the hole he made, he wrapped in a warm wet cloth and back in the bater, I hope he can get out on his own! Why he, well Ameraucana roos are usually bigger than hens even at hatch, not a grantee.

EDIT: he is now out of the membrane, he had stopped pipping because his face was stuck, poor guy, he is resting now.

Last edited:
Its all over now, I can say I do not like the hovabator! 15 out of 41 (was 16 but lost 1) another is just out of the shell. (may loose it too) I did not expect to get 100%, 50% would have been nice. I think that not all the eggs were fertile, but the issue I have is with the thermostat, and the egg turner. The thermostat at first was fairly stable, however when the turner comes out it dropped about 2*. Then as the chicks start to hatch it gains 1* or so. This is like having to adjust the thermostat in your home if you have a guest or bring in groceries. I handled that but the real problem IMHO is the egg turner holding the eggs in an un-natural position, and moving them constantly. I feel this way as the chicks, about half of them had to be helped out, their heads were not in the end of the egg but they came out the middle. Some of those that got out on their own had fuzz pulled off in places and came out so hard they shook the bator! (hard enuf to hear it across the room)
My Grand Daughter is coming in a bit and we will get some pics of them, cute as they can be!

I never use a turner. Always turn by hand. As for hearing babies hatch, totally normal. They will clatter & bang all over the place & it's especially loud on the wire mesh in most bators. Even my tiny quail sound like I have elephants hatching sometimes. Just imagine the racket of a bator full of Muscovies.

Sounds like humidity is low on hatching. You shouldn't have hatched chicks losing furs. Do you open the bator to get the hatched chicks out?

Can not wait to see your pix!
My new years resolution is to be thankful for
the little things. You have shared 15 little things that
I am anxiously waiting to see. Best of luck :>

Humidity (according to the digital meter) was high the hole time, above 50% the first 18 days (did drop twice for a short time when it ran low on water) and above 70% tell the end. Yes I had to open the bator to help about half out of their prison, (the ones that broke a window and stopped) they could not move. some were stuck, others were just to big to fit in there, and their heads were in the center of the egg. The temp was about half a degree high average. Some of the eggs if not all from one of my RIR were not fertile (I had suspected that, never seen one of the boys give her any attention), my sis's green eggs were not good either. We have 15 lively little chicks.
Keep in mind I am not a photographer! Gut heres my little fuzz balls, all posed for a pic
<br>

<br>

<br>
back to the brooder!
My Grand Daughter now wants chickens!

That sounds like low humidity during lockdown & high during incubation. I keep mine 30-40 during incubation & 55-65 during lockdown. If I have to open the bator for any reason I lightly mist the inside of the top of the bator lid with hot water to regain the humidity levels quickly to avoid shrinkwrap.

Humidity ran high even with both plugs out, 52% - 60%, and lock down ran 65% - 72%, room humidity was 55% @ 75* - 80*, outdoor humidity 15% - 75%. If i drop the humidity in the house, then there is static everywhere, can't deal with that. I got 15 (lively little critters munchin the feed down) that will boost my flock, sis got 3 for her flock, I may just wait tell spring and let an old broody hen do the next batch.
I did learn some things to build into a home brew unit.
1. Better thermostat!
2. Egg turner that runs 3 - 6 times a day, not constantly and holds the eggs in mother natures position.
3. Better humidity control!!
4. 15 - 20 minute cool down cycle once each day, the hen would do this why shouldn't I?
5. tray/s turner/s with handles for ease of use
6. Its 4 am so there is probably more
Happy New Year to All!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom