Lost Them All - **UPDATE pg 3

As a pit bull owner I can say this....If my dogs escaped, it would be my responsibility for anything they did. If it got them killed in the process, then I would have to live with that. As a result of owning this type of dog or any dog I make sure they can't escape, period. I think the brake in story was BS. They are just trying to find a way to move the blame to someone else. Give them a bill and make sure you account for EVERYTHING!!!! Incorperate the amount you spent on feed, travel time and what was paid for the ducks, along with fixing and upgrading your enclosure.

Those are the types of people that let good dogs go bad and cause grief and sadness for everyone around them. I am so sorry that you had to go through this.

Give yourself some time to heal. Don't rush into more ducks just yet. If you feel the tug to get more ducks you always have that option, but don't push it until you are truely ready. The best of luck to you.
hugs.gif

oh I am so sorry that is aweful and there is no way you could have forseen it.
hugs.gif

I hope this one makes it and if it does yes I would get it at least one little friend although I know you are way too distressed to think about that now.

Thanks, and Jess, I know it's not the specific breed per se. It could easily have been another type of dog. I have friends with pit bulls that are wonderful, loving dogs. Some are good with other animals, some are not. It really does come down to responsible ownership, making sure your animals cannot cause damage/harm to property/life. I have owned dogs for many years, and have always kept a very secure set-up for them (my own Brittany is kept away from the chickens and ducks, even though he has not shown any aggression towards them, but I will not risk it).

I really do not hold the dogs responsible, but the owner for not making sure they were secure. I grabbed my cat and brought her inside until we had the dogs secure, as I was not sure they would not go after her. I will, however, protect my animals with deadly force in the future if necessary. It would not have made a difference last night, but it may someday.

Don't forget to bill your neighbors for the repairs to the chicken coop and additional security measures to protect against another "break in" on his property.

FWIW - I own several guns (shotgun, rifle, revolver) because we have such a problem with feral dogs in our neighborhood. I also have very stout fences and several loyal dogs to protect our feathered friends but it's certainly not a guarantee. There aren't any, which is sorrow itself.

I have literally stood on my porch with two pit bulls in my shotgun's sight and begged Animal Control to get to my home quicker so I don't have to shoot the dogs. Their response was "just shoot the dogs, already!" It's not a pleasant place to be but paintball guns generally won't hold off a pit bull determined to get in the yard.

My heart goes out to you.... I know that has to be very difficult. I too suggest that you give yourself a little time to heal, before deciding if you want more ducks or not. It sounds like you were getting a lot of enjoyment out of them. With the two culprits off to jail hopefully you won't have any more problems.

tia

If you do go the electric route, I have found that my shocker for my horse fence works nicely for keeping in my brainless but otherwise fairly harmless dog, who likes to climb out of her pen and get out in the neighborhood. She sang quite nicely the first few times she tried to climb the fence after we ran the wire!

The gun certainly has my vote though too, because most people really, really don't improve on getting their out of control dogs back in control, or Animal Planet would not have had an intervention program to make.

Quote:
Amen to that!! I am going to install electric fence everywhere to keep neighbors dogs away. They attacked my JRT the day before, ripped her hind haunch open a bit. But Snowball, being the ever-tenacious terrier that she is, belived that she was winning...

The remaining duck is doing better. She is eating well, and drinking. Her wounds seem to be drying up a bit, and do not look inflamed. I have her on antibiotics, electrolytes, and am putting Neosporin on the wounds.

Unless she gets a bad infection, I think she is going to be OK, although a little lonely.

Electric Fence boxes come in 2 varieties a Pulse Shocker which pulses on and off and a Constant. I raised Pits for Hunting Dogs years ago and I suggest the constant, adreneline or not they will feel the shock, you will need to be careful though. Pits can be extremely loving and well mannered, as with any dog it depends on how it is raised and dealt with. Mine would take a hog or deer down, but my male co-existed nicely with my other dogs, cats and goats.

Back
Top Bottom