Lost to life farm

This is a bit of a hard post for me to write because it shows a couple of my inadequacies and insecurities. My coop was not designed or made for winter weather. That much is obvious. But this shows just how unprepared I was. I have a lot of ideas that I'm going to implement. Maybe I'm just being overdramatic... oh well. Here goes. Here's a complete picture of my chicken housing.

20211217_095405.jpg
20211217_095414.jpg
20211217_095425.jpg

20211217_095433.jpg

This one is underneath the big sheet of plywood. It's the nesting boxes.
20211217_095453.jpg

20211217_095502.jpg
20211217_095533.jpg
20211217_095657.jpg
20211217_095659.jpg

We made the base coop with pallet wood, 1/2" wire for the bottom, and some 2x4's. That worked quite well for a while. We need to put wheels on it and some legs, as well as a rod up front to make it more of the rickshaw design it's based on.

What we've done as a makeshift addition is put 2 straw bales on the sides and pallets to keep the snow off it. The roof is the plastic sheeting and broke very quickly in the wind. The plywood sitting on top is to hold it down and create more of a "proper" roof.

The problems that need to be addressed:
1) it's a mobile coop that isn't mobile. I need to put on the wheels, legs, and rod so we can move it.
2) the wind and snow protection is not something I'm ok with. I need to remove the slats of wood that are propped against the coop and straw and replace them with something that will effectively insulate and keep wind out. My plan is to use plastic sheeting. I'll find a way to attach it to the sides and front with wood, but still have it removable for summer.
3) I HAVE to figure something out for the bottom so their poo doesn't sit on the floor. I can either open the top and clean it out every so often or replace the bottom with 1" wire which should work (that's what Justin Rhodes has and it works for him. P.s. this whole coop design is from him. I take 0 credit for it.)
4) roosting bars. The flock currently roots to the right of the nesting boxes. They are getting bigger and don't fit as easily. Plus they sometimes try to roost in the boxes which is not good. I want to make various height roosting bars for them to use. I'm also getting more chickies in the spring so need to make sure they have room once they integrate.

If/once I get those addressed, I'll feel much better keeping my little flock in it and won't feel guilty about their housing.

With that taken care of, I need to work on their run. I have electric fencing that I love and want to keep using. The problem with it is the wind blows it sideways so it's super lax.
20211217_095722.jpg

I need to find some way to keep it in the ground without blowing completely over. I'm thinking of putting some metal posts in the ground and using those as my permanent corners when I rotate the chickens around the property. I can cement them in 5 gallon buckets or bury them in the ground.
The fence isn't energized right now, but that is on hold until our house is finished. Hopefully that'll happen soon.

Phew. That took a while to write. I'm posting this so we have pictures of where things started and i have some accountability.

Our table saw should show up today so I can pick it up and the plastic sheeting. That and the wheels are my priorities. Everything else kinda works until I can make it better.

Attachments

• 20211217_095702.jpg
    20211217_095702.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi. I can't respond to everything right now as I'm at work. Plus, it's easier to read long threads from my tablet and I'm on my phone.
Could you perhaps tarp the coop so that it is preventing drafts? I use small bunge cords to hold my tarps in place around the run. My 2nd question would be, how are they protected from predators? Again, I've not read through everything, just really skimming and looking looking at pics, so maybe this has been addressed?
I'd hate for something to happen to those fluffy butts of yours.

Hi. I can't respond to everything right now as I'm at work. Plus, it's easier to read long threads from my tablet and I'm on my phone.
Could you perhaps tarp the coop so that it is preventing drafts? I use small bunge cords to hold my tarps in place around the run. My 2nd question would be, how are they protected from predators? Again, I've not read through everything, just really skimming and looking looking at pics, so maybe this has been addressed?
I'd hate for something to happen to those fluffy butts of yours.
Predators are another worry for me. We have eagles and foxes, according to my neighbor. I've only seen a hawk or two among the tons of ravens so far. My flock protection could certainly use some help too 😜 (See a trend here? In my defense I just started keeping chickens in April but moved a couple months ago so I'm still getting things together.) The coop is fairly predator proof as it is, surprisingly. It closes up well enough so I'm not worried about them in the night. My flock is pretty good about hiding from arial predators. My cockerel keeps a good eye on the skies with the birds we have.

I also move the chickens around every couple weeks. And once I get the electric fence charged, I'll feel even better.

The tarp and bungee cords are a good idea because it can be opened up as needed for cleaning, or rearranged for ventilation.

Thank you for the idea. That would actually work quite well because it would also add a bit of a greenhouse effect which would help with the cold. I still worry about the ventilation. I have wire on the bottom, the wavy roof (can't remember what the style is called), openings where the nest boxes are, and the air flow near the roof because it's not airtight by design. Would that be enough but not too drafty? I just worry about the bottom being wire. I do have the 2x4s for roosting bars which helps at night. Would I need to put some sort of wind barrier underneath?

If I can figure things out with what I currently have, that would probably be better overall.
Can you post some pictures of the bottom? I'm not certain what you are working with.

I see that you did. I need to think on this some more. One question, are you planning on moving the coop this winter?

Predators are another worry for me. We have eagles and foxes, according to my neighbor. I've only seen a hawk or two among the tons of ravens so far. My flock protection could certainly use some help too 😜 (See a trend here? In my defense I just started keeping chickens in April but moved a couple months ago so I'm still getting things together.) The coop is fairly predator proof as it is, surprisingly. It closes up well enough so I'm not worried about them in the night. My flock is pretty good about hiding from arial predators. My cockerel keeps a good eye on the skies with the birds we have.

I also move the chickens around every couple weeks. And once I get the electric fence charged, I'll feel even better.
I can see there is hardware cloth around the whole thing now that I'm on my tablet. 🤓
I'm wondering if with the winter weather, you would need a stationary coop and use the mobile coop in the spring through fall. If it were me, I'd consider building a coop off of the ground with a small run where you can block more snow and wind for them to get out and stretch their legs.
I see you have electric netting. Plenty of people have lost birds to foxes jumping over netting especually since the snow and wind is affecting the set up and effectiveness.
Do your chickens come out when there is that much snow? My run area is pretty open, but I have to dig paths for mine to walk out in snow. Maybe setting up some of the pallets into an upside down v could provide some extra shelter out there?

These pics are reminding me that even though we've had mild temps, winter is still coming my way. 🥶

One question, are you planning on moving the coop this winter?
I am going to move it again hopefully before the end of the year. The "pasture" they are in has been worn down (its a completely undeveloped property so I am using the chickens to clear the land.)
Can you post some pictures of the bottom? I'm not certain what you are working with.
The bottom is 1/2" hardware cloth. It's also on the front and front half of the sides.
I'm wondering if with the winter weather, you would need a stationary coop and use the mobile coop in the spring through fall. If it were me, I'd consider building a coop off of the ground with a small run where you can block more snow and wind for them to get out and stretch their legs.
I've been contemplating this. One of my biggest worries is switching their home. They should be ok since it would be for a few months then they could switch back. They currently also have a truck camper shell they hang out in during the day. They have the whole area, but hate the snow so won't get out in it. It would be a fabulous idea to make a tunnel out of pallets/plastic sheeting from the coop to the camper shell. I'm going to see what I can put together tomorrow. I also thought of making a wind shelter using a wooden frame with plastic sheeting so they have even more room to roam in the winter.
I see you have electric netting. Plenty of people have lost birds to foxes jumping over netting especually since the snow and wind is affecting the set up and effectiveness.
Any ideas how to combat this? It may be a risk I have to take. The land is really very bare all around so I'm not sure how well a fox will be able to move around and hide. I might be able to put my dog close by. She would bark at any intruder or threat. I did have an incident with her and the chickens at the very first, but she's tied up so can't get the birdies anymore. She also isn't one to break free unless something is very wrong. I still keep an eye on them all, especially when the flock free-ranges, but things have been OK so far :fl

I've been contemplating this. One of my biggest worries is switching their home. They should be ok since it would be for a few months then they could switch back. They currently also have a truck camper shell they hang out in during the day. They have the whole area, but hate the snow so won't get out in it. It would be a fabulous idea to make a tunnel out of pallets/plastic sheeting from the coop to the camper shell. I'm going to see what I can put together tomorrow. I also thought of making a wind shelter using a wooden frame with plastic sheeting so they have even more room to roam in the winter.
Sounds like you have to dig snow tunnels for your flock. 😂 Working in the winter weather is no fun, that's for sure. But, I bet they will appreciate some cover out in the run free of snow.

Any ideas how to combat this? It may be a risk I have to take. The land is really very bare all around so I'm not sure how well a fox will be able to move around and hide. I might be able to put my dog close by. She would bark at any intruder or threat. I did have an incident with her and the chickens at the very first, but she's tied up so can't get the birdies anymore. She also isn't one to break free unless something is very wrong. I still keep an eye on them all, especially when the flock free-ranges, but things have been OK so far :fl
I have only been researching electric netting as I've recently lost a few ducks to a fox.
My birds have coops and a run, but they used to be able to free range in my backyard. They did so for years with no issues until this past spring. ☹ But, at the time, the fox was moving through the cornfields. Now, those are chopped down. I'm still afraid to let them out unless I'm out there. But, if it is open, you are right they have no place to hide.

I know it's been a few days since my last post, but it's been a busy weekend. We went up to celebrate Christmas with family over the weekend. But good news! We finally got our table saw. Now I can work on the coop. There's a good storm in the forecast in a few days so I need to get things ready by then. My plan is to work on putting up the plastic sheeting first when I get a chance tomorrow after work. Then I'd like to get the coop mobile so I can move the flock to a new area just in time for the snow to hit.

I do have a neat story to tell today. It's been fairly snowy and cold here so the ladies haven't had much time to free range. Today, however, they were very energetic. For the first time in a couple weeks they rushed out of the coop when I opened it to feed them. #2 came out first, flapping her wings to move faster, then the others followed at a more leisurely pace. I usually spread their food around, but figured I'd be nice today and put the food on the ground near their coop. I thi k they enjoyed it as the gobbled up the food them sauntered over to their water as if they hadn't a care in the world.

Later, when I went to check on them they left the shelter of the camper shell to come say hi. It's so fun to go over and see 4 fluffy chickens run as fast as they can to the edge of the fence to say hi. It always brings a smile to my face. It wasn't too cold or windy out today so I went to open the fence so they could free range. It didn't take them more than a few seconds to evacuate the run and start chowing down on the few bits of green that is poking through the mud and snow. I love letting them roam the property to forage. A free ranging hen is a happy hen.

I do have a very soft spot for my little rooster. I had a bucket of black soldier fly grubs that I use as treats. Today I spread some around like I usually do, and sat back to watch Friz (my roo) do his tidbitting thing and call the ladies. I was watching them and decided I'd see if I could score a few brownie points with Friz. I got a small handful of grubs and put it just out of sight of everyone. Then I tried to call him over. He, being the smart guy he is, came over to see what I was fussing about. Once he found the treats, he called to the other ladies. It was fun to be in on a little secret with him.

I know roosters aren't supposed to be cuddly and whatnot, but my little guy is the only one who will let me pick him up and will actually stay on my lap. Since he does let me hold him, I've taken to grooming him a bit. He has some new feathers around his neck that still have the sheath on them. I'll help take off a few loose bits at the end for him. Of course, I have to make sure his ladies are safe and away, otherwise he takes off and watches over them. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have such a good guy as my first rooster. He is nice to his ladies and watches them very closely. The teenage stage was really rough, but he's calmed down a lot. Still have a bit to go, but he is such a gentleman that he's earned his place in my flock.

This picture is a few weeks old but here is my little guy on the right and his bestie, #2
20211202_165829_capture.jpg

Coop improvements and still feeling like a bad chickie parent

Over the course of the week I put up the plastic sheeting like I wanted. I got all the stuff together and started. It took a while to find some wood amidst the construction leftovers that I could work with but I finally found some and got to measuring, cutting, stapling, nailing, drilling, and agonizing.

I took one piece of wood and cut it into smaller pieces that I sized to fit the front and front half of the sides.

20211222_140837.jpg
20211222_140854.jpg
20211222_141447.jpg

Then I took everything to the coop so I could work and measure better. I measured and cut the plastic, and stapled the wood to the plastic, rolled it a fre times until it was a good height and screwed it in.
20211222_143335.jpg
20211222_144227.jpg
20211222_144234.jpg

Here is one side complete. I left some plastic between the two covers to give it better coverage. The wood covers the hardware cloth up to 3-4 inches from the top. This gives it more ventilation but should keep the snow out.
20211222_145628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom