Lots of Cheeps = Cold????

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I have 6 regular sized chicks that were just hatched by my tiny banty. I have moved them to my garage as its getting super cold here today and the rest of this week. All I hear is tons of cheeping and was thinking of puting a lamp on them with a 100 watt bulb. Just to kinda help warm their "area".. They do snuggle under mom, but it seems they spend tons of time out running the pen and its kinda cool in the garage..

Thoughts???

Time to get a couple different bulb watts. 250, 150 and a 100 watt the 250 heat you should consider red heat lamp. Week #1 85 degrees week 2 80 and drop by 5 degrees until they are fully feathered till around week 6 or 7. Water with vita sol and chick medicated feed a baby stuffed animal for them to snuggle to and climb under and around on. A brooder box can be snagged at any big appliance store if you ask nicely. Set any or go to a grocery store and ask for a used pumpkin box right now is perfect timing!!

Last edited:
It is normal for the chicks to peep a lot. The "distress" peep is a loud mournful obvious cry that something is wrong. It is really hard to mistake the regular peeping for that distress peep.

I don't know how small that tiny bantam is in relation to the chicks. As a rule of thumb, if she could cover the eggs, she can handle that number of chicks. And I have no idea what you mean by supercold, especially inisde your garage. So I have trouble answering your question definitively.

Unless something was really unusual, I would not do it. You take the chance of burning your garage down and I highly doubt the chickens need it. There are photos on this forum of hens out in snow with their chicks. Mama has a very good heater that never loses power.

I went ahead and put the bulb in the corner of the pen.. About 5 minutes later I found her and the chicks all snuggled under it.. And it was noticably quieter in there when I went out..lol

mommto3kiddos
How many chicks and how old are they? The floor in my garage is as cold as the driveway in the front of the house. We were in the 20's last night in Portland Oregon and I was saying to my wife I am glad I put extra shaving in the coop and brooder yesterday for the girls last night. They dug in and huddled up I am sure. I resist the temptation to put heat on them bc they are full grow fully feathered and They are ready I am not!
idunno.gif
I tell myself they have been around for 100's and 1000's of years and the good Lord has provided them with enough coats to stay warm. So put on a warmer one when you go out and play please.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom