Lots of chickens

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Not sure where else to put this, so I'm passing it on here. Sounds like they might be meat chickens, but I don't know. Hope someone can help!

Pennsylvania SPCA

Yesterday at 4:45 PM ·
!!! We need your help!!!

On Saturday, the Pennsylvania SPCA, with the help
And continued support of Indraloka Animal Sanctuary, responded to an unusual call - hundreds of chickens were found in North Philadelphia in filthy and extreme conditions. They were quite literally running amuck, without food or water, and time was running out. Initial reports indicated there were 300 baby chicks, but instead, we rescued over 1,000.

Every single one of the birds were brought to the Pennsylvania SPCA headquarters where they have been cared for medically, fed and watered.
But, this breed of chickens grow at a very fast pace, and will soon weigh 8-10 lbs. The PSPCA's headquarters in Philadelphia are simply not equipped to hold that quantity of large-scale birds.

The situation is urgent. We are working the phones, reaching out to as many rescues and sanctuaries as possible, in order to provide live exits for as many birds as possible. After all, that is our mission - we operate under a no-kill philosophy.

This is where we need your help. This large-scale bird rescue has fallen at the same time when many rescues are saving chickens from religious rituals in New York City. Many are at capacity.

But, extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. We are pleading with everyone to work their networks, contact sanctuaries, email friends with farms where these birds can live out their lives happily, healthily and safely. You can help us find placement for these birds and we need you! Whether it's 5 or 50, every placement helps. Within a week or two at the maximum, we will simply not have the capacity to house these birds any longer.

We are doing everything we can, and we are calling on our network to do the very same. If you tell a friend, they will tell a friend, and soon we will have so many people who will want to help! We can do this.

For more information, please contact Deanne Schmidt, [email protected] or Kelsie Kelly, [email protected]

They are meat birds. They aren’t gonna spend the money to ship them anywhere. The chicks wouldn’t survive much travel anyway. I know the area well.
Brilliant guy gonna sell meat birds out of a back alley.

Well, doesn't seem to me they would be spreading the word everywhere if they didn't expect to ship them somewhere. They're a no-kill shelter. THEY can't kill them. Can't afford to keep them. Are supposed to make sure that whoever adopts them won't kill them, though that's....welll...anyway, what are they supposed to do with them? Throw the book at the jerk that kept them that way, anyway.

Well, doesn't seem to me they would be spreading the word everywhere if they didn't expect to ship them somewhere. They're a no-kill shelter. THEY can't kill them. Can't afford to keep them. Are supposed to make sure that whoever adopts them won't kill them, though that's....welll...anyway, what are they supposed to do with them? Throw the book at the jerk that kept them that way, anyway.
No kill shelters usually have a percentage that they keep alive. Doesn’t mean they never euthanize animals. This guy had a lot of meat birds that he even lost in transit to his “farm”. They were in pretty rough shape and hundreds already died. Shipping would just kill more.

Back
Top Bottom