Lots of missing feathers in cold weather

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
One of my chickens (1 year old) has suddenly starting loosing basically most of her feathers. Her back is missing feathers and her bottom is basically bare. I’m getting super nervous with the weather as today and tomorrow is supposed to be 30s and 20s during the night. No mites or lice and no chickens are pecking at her. She is pecking at herself though. I don’t really know what to do….

Attachments

• IMG_9083.jpeg
    IMG_9083.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9077.jpeg
    IMG_9077.jpeg
    579.1 KB · Views: 29
She's likely molting and preening.

She should be okay if she has shelter and roost mates.. I too was super stressed when my first bird decided to molt in those temps.

Looks like she already has new feathers coming in!
Is there anything i can do for her in the mean time? I feel like all these new feathers are hurting, she was making this low squawking noise when i was touching her.

Her new feathers are coming in, at this stage they're very sensitive for anything coming in contact with it. So avoid touching them. Keep her on high protein so the feathers can come out faster. She'll be ok with the cold.

My ducks were attacked in a locked duck house with a floor. 2 survived but hurt pretty badly. this is the second time in 3 months. 3 were killed the first time. Difference was 2 layers of chicken fence with 2 inch hole so they could get water. It was 90 outside. The first time 1 was in house, another found in the woods, other couldn’t find. 5 others were out. Blood was in the house the corner of wire was pushed outward and stuck on pole what can be doing this.
. So took out vent new locks then this time it happened again. Our went is 2 inches. whatever killed the 3 didn’t eat them. There were bite marks all over their heads necks back of all 5. No sign of how the got in or out. My house is 4 1/2 feet high off the ground. I’ve had these ducks for 3 1/2 years never a problem. Now 3 months they’re gone. it Seems to happen in the early morning. Blood fresh. They weren’t cold or in rigor. om waiting to see if I lose the other 2. The only change is we had to baby Racoons in our backyard tree. We have 7 3/4 acres 5 wooded. It’s a zoo with turkey and deer. Nothing living under the house tore it out. What can it be.

My ducks were attacked in a locked duck house with a floor. 2 survived but hurt pretty badly. this is the second time in 3 months. 3 were killed the first time. Difference was 2 layers of chicken fence with 2 inch hole so they could get water. It was 90 outside. The first time 1 was in house, another found in the woods, other couldn’t find. 5 others were out. Blood was in the house the corner of wire was pushed outward and stuck on pole what can be doing this.
. So took out vent new locks then this time it happened again. Our went is 2 inches. whatever killed the 3 didn’t eat them. There were bite marks all over their heads necks back of all 5. No sign of how the got in or out. My house is 4 1/2 feet high off the ground. I’ve had these ducks for 3 1/2 years never a problem. Now 3 months they’re gone. it Seems to happen in the early morning. Blood fresh. They weren’t cold or in rigor. om waiting to see if I lose the other 2. The only change is we had to baby Racoons in our backyard tree. We have 7 3/4 acres 5 wooded. It’s a zoo with turkey and deer. Nothing living under the house tore it out. What can it be.
you need to create you’re own thread.

She's likely molting and preening.

She should be okay if she has shelter and roost mates.. I too was super stressed when my first bird decided to molt in those temps.

Looks like she already has new feathers coming in!
she is molting, somtimes chickens molt in the winter-if she keeps loosig ore feathers you should bring her inside or find a nice warm enviroment for her-but she should be fine, for her new feathers seems as it will be coming in pretty soon.

she is molting, somtimes chickens molt in the winter-if she keeps loosig ore feathers you should bring her inside or find a nice warm enviroment for her-but she should be fine, for her new feathers seems as it will be coming in pretty soon.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

You may have quoted (or responded to) the wrong person.. since I didn't actually ask any question..

Still, thank you for caring! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom