LOTS of questions about SHEEP!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kathryn4629, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Ok so I have decided after weeks of research that sheep would be a good fit for me. I have 10 acres of very lush grass. All of it is wire mesh fenced and is flat. Water and shelter readily available. This acreage is separate from what I am using for my other livestock.

Am currently debating between a few different breeds. I am going to go with pure bred registered stock. I would like to be able to sell directly to other breeders and of course sell market lambs (yum!) I know I am in no way going to get rich doing this, but would like ot come close to breaking even. I have spent time working with sheep in the past, mostly helping move herds up to summer pasture for the summer in Montana. I do realize how stupid they are [​IMG] at least compared to cattle. I also have horses, a few cows and a steer currently.

The breeds I am debating on are:
    Dorset
    Polypay
    Finnsheep
    California Red

The qualities I am looking for are
    Multiple Births
    good foragers
    good growth rate on grass
    Resistance to parasites

I would love to hear from some sheep people! Do you have any experience with these breeds, good, bad? Other advice/ breed recommendations very welcome!!! Thank you!!

2. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    How about Shetlands or Icelandics! They are half pint size so you could have twice as many. I am sure there is a good market out there for good pure breeding stock of these varietys!

3. Kathryn4629

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Quote:Icelandic's were on my list until I realized that they are not as prolific as some of the other breeds. I will look into them again, because I love that they have beautiful wool. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You can get even more advice on the BYC sister site, www.backyardherds.com

Same owner, same setup but geared more closely to your questions. [​IMG]

5. Kathryn4629

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Quote:I actually just signed up for the forum last night! lol I have already got some great answers to [​IMG] I was super excited that it is in the same format as this forum, easy to make the transition.

Thanks for the tip!!

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    If you dont care about the wool get hair sheep. They are great mothers and have multiple births. Most breeds are also extra parasite resistant. Most breeds are also raised for meat so they are good foragers and grow quickly. I would definately look into them. They seem to fit you just right. I raise Katahdins and Barbado sheep. ALL are good growers on grass and parasite resistant

7. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    if you want to sell like 4-h lambs get suffolk ewes and a hampshire ram i would know i do 4-h market lambs

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I wrote you a reply on BYHs....I'm cheering for either Katahdins or Royal Whites as the perfect breeds that have the characteristics you like. I have no personal experience with the Royal Whites but they seem to be in growing demand. I can't say enough about the Katahdins, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by