LOUD Chicken Breeds

What breeds that you own are the loudest?

• Total voters
Haha, my loudest hens are most definitely my two silkies 😆😆 They will carry on doing egg songs for other hens too! They’re so loud for being so tiny!! 😆 I picked Marans though because my blue copper Marans has opinions about everything all day long. She’s not as loud as the silkies, but she can definitely make some sound haha.

My quietest birds have been my bantam Cochins. They have a cute little chirp they do to talk to each other but they’ve so far been really quiet. Aside from right before laying her egg my GLW is really quiet too!

My buff Orpington is the loudest in my flock! She always is screaming as if the sky is falling! Whenever she gets upset she lets everybody know about it! I think it really depends on the personality of the chicken, not so much the breed.

Attachments

• D393759E-4F0D-4488-806E-91672A948DB7.jpeg
    D393759E-4F0D-4488-806E-91672A948DB7.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 2
My Starlight Green Egger (a Hoovers Hatchery mix) is by far the most chatty bird ever. I noticed her not making noise and got worried so I decided I'd bring her inside for a check over. The moment I picked her up, she started talking and continued the entire time she was in the house and didn't stop until I put her back in the coop. She's the lowest on the pecking order and her flockmates don't appreciate her being so chatty like I do 💜 One of my Crested Cream Legbars is another very loud bird that's constantly talking. My Naked Neck/Cochin mix is pretty chatty too. My bantam hens (OEGB's and Dutch Bantams) are up near the very top too but I know you didn't include them.
My quietest birds are definitely my Svarthöna, Wyandotte, and Easter Eggers. Since I included that my Bantams were loud, I figured I'd include a quiet Bantam, my Pyncheon is so incredibly quiet, even if she's making noise, she's so quiet about it.

In general I've always found the lighter egg laying breeds like Andalusians and Leghorns to be loud. Large fowl game hens can be deafening, and also Fayoumi. I agree that Easter eggers are loud, too.
It seems that EEs can have a lot of variation, especially considering their backgrounds. I have 11 EEs currently and all the ones I have are quiet, except for one, but even that one is rarely loud. Vanilla, my Leghorn does like to show off her egg song though...especially in her youth.

Back
Top Bottom