1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Loud Ducky

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RocketChick, May 2, 2009.

1. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I know I'm probably the stupidest person in the world...but I couldn't help it. I can have poultry as long as no one complains, and I went and got a...female pekin duckling. I saw it in the store, looking at me, and I couldn't help it.....

But I heard pekin girls were LOUD. Ahh...im scared someone will complain. Do they quack all the time? Or only when you go out there with them? Are they really annoying? I also have 4 pullets who befriended her almost right away...is the noice of the chickens and the noise of the duck very different? Will neighbors think its just a random annoying bird? Idk, but my yard is about 2000 sq ft, and I have a neighbor right next to me, and a neighbor right at the end of my yard.

I've never heard a pekin quack...so...should I find her a new home? Or...D: I would love to keep her, she's a sweetie.

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    You should be fine. Pekin girls do have a really loud quack and they are chatty, but it's usually not as obnoxious for neighbors than a rooster crow. I'd keep her and talk to your neighbors to let them know that she may be chatty. That way if they have a problem they may feel more open to letting you know.

Good luck with her [​IMG]

3. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Okay, I will definitely talk to my neighbors, thanks! [​IMG]

Do they always quack? Or only at special times(like when they lay an egg or see me?)

4. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My female crested and female pekin mix wont shut up...My mallard girls are very quite...

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My pekin female is extremely loud and I also have neighbors all around. I am hoping I don't have to take her out to a friends place in the country. I keep telling her to quiet down ;-) but she just won't! Good luck! I suppose they all have a different quack range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by