Loud Quacking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Howard-the-Duck, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Howard-the-Duck

Howard-the-Duck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2014
    Do your ducks ever get loud? You know, like they all quack in concert?
    I have Rouens, Welsh Harlequin, and white layers.
    Every now and then, quack... quack.... Quack, QUACK!!!!!!!!!
    All at once. Kinda funny, actually.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When their duck mama doesn't keep the food bowl full, when they are bored and they know I am home and they want to go for a walk.

1 person likes this.
  3. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Yep I get the multi-quack too. Usually while I'm trying to slip by unseen - being seen results in noise from the ducks and guilt for me until I mealworm them up!

4. Howard-the-Duck

Howard-the-Duck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2014
    Funny thing is, their food bowls are full, yet still the quacking.
    At first, I thought they were hungry, but no. They have food.
    It must be they want to call attention.
    And their quack rings with such authority...
    demanding my presence, as it were.
    Such ducks!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    yes, happy ducks are chatty. I have some of the loudest breeds going( i must be insane lol) my calls and pekin and those buffs(oye!) but i don't see it as concerning most times it literately is happy talk, only on occasion is the voice a concerned one, like one pekin female got lost the other day she was quacking enough to wake the dead, we helped her relocate the flock.

Some breeds are just quiet, my Muscovy for instance, if a lady starting honking i'd be running to see what was wrong, they just don't use that voice much.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  6. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    First thing in the morning, when I go out to feed them and let them out, as soon as they hear me coming, QUAAAAACK wonk wonk wonk. So cute :D

I can even tell my mallard from the pekin and ancona females--it's easily one of my favorite part about having ducks. That chattiness is just so heartwarming and adorable, especially when they're eating and talking first thing out of the pen in the morning. And we have a lot of land and 3 cliques of ducks, so when they're looking for each other you hear hilarious calls too.

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

My girls are extremely noisy.... Seems like it's at random, but I'm not very duck savvy and likely just missing the why to all the noise. Fresh pond water always stirs up some crazy noise and everyone runs a muck and they have a pool party :)

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. yanakaye

yanakaye Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    I'm a bit concerned about my little lady Campbell becoming loud. She's nearing a year old. She's normally chatty but she had started quacking REALLY loudly, the same quack she uses for when our boy is being a bit rough when mating her. Not all the time, but mostly when she sees us or its food time. At the same time she has also started running around with her head tucked in. She seems completely normal and happy otherwise, this us just such a change in character I don't know whether to be concerned. Any help would be much appreciated. X

10. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    What do you mean by running around with her head tucked in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by