"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

They all should be raised in a coop, but I like to let them free range as they get old. They tend to like shady areas with some brush to scratch around in. I don't have any of that, so they'd surely end up at my neighbors house!
They sure will because I have to say they are the nosiest things on earth! I had a net sack hanging near the Four Musketeers' brooder & the little stinkers managed to jump up & snag a piece of it -- I heard all this thumping & went to see what was going on & they were unraveling that sack, jumping up & grabbing at it & pulling the threads off!

You can't get anything done in the grown-ups' pen without two people, somebody has to come in & keep them occupied or else they'll drive you crazy trying to "help" & get into whatever you're doing.

My late uncle had some & they were all up & down our road all the time. It was nothing to see them flying past your window -- heading for your garden to help themselves to some fresh veggies!

Wow, where is everybody? Inside hiding from the heat & humidity I guess!
Packing to leave for Spaniel nationals tomorrow. Jim's going to have fun w/the peas while I'm gone -- currently we have 3 in one brooder, 4 in another brooder, 8 in the in-house brooder, plus the guineas in the chicken tractor & the chickens & big peas in their respective pens. A LOT of feeding & watering going on.
And then there's the dogs & cats.....
barnie.gif

hey Terri, I see you have welsummers, are they from a line or hatchery. If you can post some pics. I got my first welsummers this year and were told the parents are from Whitmore farms.

We have the two mares, two colts and a miniature Donkey. The Donkey stays out all the time but mares and colts are in during the day and out at night. I use to teas my wife about how long it took us to take care of her horses compared to how long it took me to do all my chickens. Boy does that change when you have to wash 12 or so 1-gallon waterers and 8, 5-gallon waterers. Of course you have to top off everyone feed and make sure that everyone is ok while you’re already out there. 15 Chickens were a lot faster to take care of then 70+. I can’t imagine how much time a couple hundred chicken would take to do in this heat! LOL! Terry, that’s where I’ve been….taking care of my chicken and building more pens.

Chris

hey Terri, I see you have welsummers, are they from a line or hatchery. If you can post some pics. I got my first welsummers this year and were told the parents are from Whitmore farms.
Mine are Channing Grisham & Calicowood - I hatched them from eggs I got here from BYCer ksf59. They lay a nice sized dark brown speckledly egg, very nice birds, even tempered & I like their color pattern. I have some pics of them at home I can post.

We have the two mares, two colts and a miniature Donkey. The Donkey stays out all the time but mares and colts are in during the day and out at night. I use to teas my wife about how long it took us to take care of her horses compared to how long it took me to do all my chickens. Boy does that change when you have to wash 12 or so 1-gallon waterers and 8, 5-gallon waterers. Of course you have to top off everyone feed and make sure that everyone is ok while you’re already out there. 15 Chickens were a lot faster to take care of then 70+. I can’t imagine how much time a couple hundred chicken would take to do in this heat! LOL! Terry, that’s where I’ve been….taking care of my chicken and building more pens.

Chris
Chris you just made me realize I am up to 48 birds again (49 if I count the parakeet, lol) No wonder it takes me so long every evening!
lol.png

Mine are Channing Grisham & Calicowood - I hatched them from eggs I got here from BYCer ksf59. They lay a nice sized dark brown speckledly egg, very nice birds, even tempered & I like their color pattern. I have some pics of them at home I can post.
Cool deal. Would love to see some pics. Maybe i can get some chicks or eggs from you in the future.

Originally Posted by Chris Herzog

Chris
Chris you just made me realize I am up to 48 birds again (49 if I count the parakeet, lol) No wonder it takes me so long every evening!
lol.png

LOL Hey Chris yeah it does take quite some time to take care of a whole passel of them just with reg chiores not counting when something goes off the deep end. i spend on average every day taking care of 300+ or so 4HRS! that's half a days work for most people that only work 40hrs a week. I wished I had one of those easy 40hr weekers sometimes. But I too, do have to make a lot of money to support this habit(hobby) of mine too.LOL

Jeff

Originally Posted by Chris Herzog

Chris

LOL Hey Chris yeah it does take quite some time to take care of a whole passel of them just with reg chiores not counting when something goes off the deep end. i spend on average every day taking care of 300+ or so 4HRS! that's half a days work for most people that only work 40hrs a week. I wished I had one of those easy 40hr weekers sometimes. But I too, do have to make a lot of money to support this habit(hobby) of mine too.LOL

Jeff
Are we good to go on Friday? I need to lighten my load some and put it all over on you, LOL!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom