"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes I do Terri, the 2 girls are very docile one too much as shes a pest the boys are good one is really pretty the other is better typed. Typical for me,lol, so a good enough excuse for me to keep both of them around to breed over the girls for more like them + my production reds need some new different stuff throwed-all-up(diversity) in the mix too.. I have a good bit of info I acquired about this particular strain (pickens) I will get it together and PM you it. so you know more or less what yo got here to work with. Mine started laying at a descent enough age it think esp. for them starting up in the hottest part of the year. they sure have started way before my BR and other RIRs are looking to start, which looks like forty forevers from now LOL

Jeff

2. Roxanneinla

Roxanneinla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Leesville Louisiana
    They are very pretty http://greenfirefarms.com/store/silver-sussex-day-old-chick/

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of there parents :)

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Not too much. I saw a few puddles out there. The ducks were making holes in the mud. :/ :hit :smack

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Yeah, when I had ducks I always thought they ought to change that expression "happy as a pig in mud" to "happy as DUCKS in mud"! [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

That sounds like a good "Reality Show". Kinda like Wife Swap. :lau I think we should try to make "Farm Swap" happen. :gig

Yes, you have me outnumbered. I would love the challenge. :oops:

I only have about 300+ animals. If we did "Farm Swap" your duties would include skeeter control (fogging the entire yard/chicken yard every night, making sure the zapper iszapping, spraying about 200 chickens and turkeys with Avon Skin So Soft EVERY night to make sure the skeeters don't bite them. Running after guineas and mid age turkeys or plucking them from the fence or pecan trees and throwing their butts wherever you can. :gig And let's not forget this fella (PRINCE) who loves to roost 8+ feet high in the air. You will have to FIND, CATCH and lock his butt UP!

WHERE'S WALDO? Can you spot the little rug rat? :/
    [​IMG]

You could surely come on feed day. When you would get to my house, you would have to let ALL of the animals out of the chicken yard into the BIG human yard for about 3 hours. They usually put themselves back but you may have to heard the sheep back in. As far as feed, you would only have to pick up, load and unload about 2, 500 lbs of feed and store all feed in 55 gallon trash cans in feed storage house, fill up all feeders for all of the animals (20 - 25 feeders depending on if I have itty bitties), (with one large feeder needing 350 lbs of feed), change the water in all swimming pools (9 pools total), change out waterers and fill other water containers for other animals (35 waterers total) AM & PM, make sure sheep and goat have hay, pick eggs daily (about 10+ dozen -in about 10 different locations throughout the property), fill egg orders for the next day delivery or pick up (orders as many as 30 dozen eggs). I'm sure I'm leaving out a chore or 2 but for the most part, that would be it. And then the last thing of the night is to go out and closed and lock chicken coops and houses making sure that all birds are in. Let me know when you're ready to Farm Swap. :)

Oh, I forgot about feeding the stray cats. I only have 4 strays. ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

So true!

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Dam, you wore me out just reading all that. I think I'll just stay here and vacation on the weekends. I knew there was a reason I only have chickens Lots of them but simple compared to your chores. LOL no wonder you can't get a farm hand to help out around there, you wear them out in the interview/orientation process LOL

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    :yuckyuck

:lau

Too funny! I was wondering why I couldn't hire anyone to help me. :hit I need to find a way to make it more inviting. :oops: Any ideas? LOL

9. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

We make Kumquat Marmalade with ours,.. it's easy and it make good gifts,...

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Can any recommend a feed that I can feed to ALL my animals (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys)? I have been using Flockraiser pellets but the feed store that I have been buying it from has had molded feed for the last 2 months, so I have been using Flockraiser crumble from TSC but I HATE the crumble. I really, really, really need a feed that all of them can eat regardless of their age. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by