"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

If I hear something, I will let you know.

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Yes - all of my peas are in completely enclosed pens. I found out how well they can fly when I raised my original four! even when they're little, they can fly very well.

If they get out, they won't go far. They were hatched there & that's home. It can be quite tricky trying to catch them though!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I found out a few weekends ago just how far they can travel. One day, I had let them all out into the human yard and my boy Prince traveled a few houses down. Luckily I spotted what looked like a white stick pacing the neighbor's fence trying to get in to get back home. That white stick was Prince who had walked too far off and ended up 3 houses down. If the neighbors saw him, they probably thought it was a white chicken because I know they have never saw a white peacock before. I took a pic and I thought that I had it but I guess not. I think his curiosity got the best of him and he had to explore further out into the neighborhood. Although he is tame and he will allow me to pick him up, I didn't want to take any chances, so I grabbed the net and walked down the gravel road to catch him. I was able to get him and march him on home. :/

By the way Terri, I noticed that handling a pea is VERY tricky. It's not like picking up a chicken. They are so big ta an early age and if you're not careful, I'm sure you can injure them. I will have to look up "How To Hold A Pea".

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    That little devil! and since he's imprinted on people he will be fearless.

When Romeo got loose a couple years ago, he never left the yard & when D'art got out a few months ago he spent the entire time pacing the fence trying to get back to the rest. Jim closed the partition we have in there, shutting the rest in the front part of the run, then opened the fence & he immediately went back in. I figured they were all like that.

Should've known you'd have the oddball! [​IMG]

I laughed so hard at those 3 guineas - Sunday afternoon Jim was putting some grommets in a tarp he had spread out over the driveway. The 3 caballeros were out as usual & they were just going crazy to figure out what he was doing. They'd stalk up to him with their heads real low, then when he'd make a noise they'd run away shrieking, then do it all over again.

5. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    They have it the first Sunday of every month. I believe its from 8:00am to 12:00pm, not completely sure if that's the correct time it ends.

6. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    ok thanx i wish i could make it to a few of em but sundays are not at all good for me, but will pass the word

7. cajun backwoods

cajun backwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    reeves, la.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my broilers are 2 weeks old today and thursday will make 2 weeks since i had em, so far they have ate about 25 pounds of feed and increasing everyday, i will probably start them on the next kind of feed thursday, and i beleive they are about to out grow my brooder, they are just now starting to look less cute and more tastey lol [​IMG]

8. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Are these at all TSC's or just the one it BR?

9. Celie

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    [​IMG]
    Mine are 11 days old and are going out to the barn in the morning! They look about the same, but are too messy for the brooder room. They generate so much heat, I can't lower the temp enough to acclimate them, so tomorrow they get a new home inside of a dog pen that is set up in the barn. They are too small to free range yet, but they will be out of the house. How many did you get? I got 50 ![​IMG]

10. Celie

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Is everybody's birds going through a heavy molt this year? Mine usually molt Spring and Fall, but not like this year! I went to the barn a week ago and it looked like a pillow fight had gone on ! LOL Then then yesterday, they had to have used a feather mattress. I guess all of the pillows were empty. Today the turkeys were dropping feathers as I watched. My hens lay 6 to 7 eggs a week in Summer and 5 in Winter. Out of 80 or so hens, I am barely getting 18 eggs a day. Customers are telling me that I am getting more than most. The guy at Hammond feed usually sells his in the store, but he said he hasn't gotten more than 1 or 2 a day for about a month now! I have never in 7 years seen this! Do you think it is an indication of a really cold winter coming? On another thread, a lady in CO., said she never saw such bug thickly furred wolves around before. My rabbits have nice winter coats, already and the daytime temps are still in the 80"s ! Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this and what you are experiencing?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by