"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    [​IMG] I understand and know where you're coming from Kuntrygirl as a lot of people just think chickens of different colors are just that different colors. but it is something you have to study and learn about to really appreciate the differences, I'd reckon. If I could show you one on one a Ideal version or any other hatchery type (I have them too) of a New Hampshire and a real New Hampshire in a side by side, live comparison, you could really see the differences same with RIRs and production reds. Most of the factory birds are just that, the same ol type bird just different colors, is all. BUT they lay a tremendous amount of eggs for for few years of being here on this Earth though. [​IMG] I got lots of them they keep me in way too many eggs for my little goings on here,LOL

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hi, guys!! Beautiful day! I read in this thread about using Petrus for feed. My girls do NOT like Layena that I get from the local feed store, but they need something really good with calcium because they are giving me an egg a day right now. I located a Petrus in Gonzales, not too far away. What is the best thing I can ask for at Petry to feed to my laying hens?

BTW, I fed them back their egg shells last night and they loved it. Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have thought of that.

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Here is the New Hamp pullet.

[​IMG]

The lighting sucked, so you can't see the real color of this bird. 7 months old and laying eggs.

Walt

Catdaddyfro here:

This pullet won Champion American Class out in Ventura CA and I just so happen to have some direct sisters and cousins of her here at my place, and will be learning and trying to make more just like her or better LOL

Jeff
    [​IMG] LOVE the color! I don't know anything about what makes a champion chicken either, but she sure is pretty!

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I don't know if that's the same Petrus or not - the one here is family owned & run by Greg Petrus - maybe they're relatives - the one here mills their own feed. Are you giving them crushed oyster shells? I keep some out all the time for my chickens. I always just ask for "laying pellets" here, so not much help, sorry![​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Gotcha';).

In my neck of the woods, no one really cares about if a bird is a champion. Most of my customers are the old timers who could give a frog's rump about coloring, blood line, genetics, etc. They like the Barred Rocks, Doms, RIR, NHPs and Buffs. They want poultry that they can eat and not eye candy. One older guy that I talked to told me that a lady tried to sell him some "Movie Star Chickens" as he called it and he told her where to shove those "show" chickens because he could have cared less. So, I have to cater to the old timers. I would go broke if I had "Movie Star Chickens". :lau No one wants them. And for those hens that lay the different colored eggs (blue, pink, green, etc.), I would not sell one single egg if my chickens laid the multi-colored eggs. My customers only want brown eggs. :/ Go figure.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Do your girls like the crumble or pellets? Terri may be able to help you with what to ask being as though she has been a long time Petrus customer. I opted to go for the 26% Game Bird Feed for all of my animals but I will add cracked corn to bring the protein down for the ducks, geese, and chickens. The Pea fowl and turkeys get the straight 26% with minimal corn. They need the higher protein.

7. Roxanneinla

Roxanneinla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Leesville Louisiana
    One of them has about the same markings as my dear speckles...sigh i sure do miss that hen :(

8. Roxanneinla

Roxanneinla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Leesville Louisiana
    [​IMG] Bahahah that's so funny thanks i need the smile.. But the movie star chickens are way cooler with there flashy plumage and the way they walk LOL!!

9. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I give them that crushed rock, I think it is granite or something, I'm not at home. Should I give them oyster shells everyday? I can buy that.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    :yuckyuck

:lau

The "Movie Star Chickens" scare the ba-geesus out of me. They look so darn creepy. :oops: It's something about them that gives me nightmares. The sizzles, silkies and "show girl" chickens could be movie stars - Horror Movie Stars. :gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by