"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Glad to hear about your increase in eggs too. So you have been using organic game feed? I'm glad that you co-signed about the size of your eggs. I thought I was hallucinating. :gig What is the protein of the game bird that you use? You will have to tell us more about the feed. How much more expensive is it? :oops: I think I found a winner with the Game Bird Pellets from Petrus and feeding it to all of the animals. Although, I am cutting the protein down a bit, so it's not too high for the ducks, geese and chickens. They seem to LOVE IT!

As far as the turkeys, this is will be my first year harvesting my home grown turkeys. I think I will take them off the ground probably today if I'm planning for Thanksgiving. I don't "do the deed" because I'm still a whimp as far as that is concerned. Someone else has to do it for me. So, I have to make sure my "Deed Doer" is available. If not, then I will plan on having the turkey for Christmas.

Gumbo????????????? :drool Boy, I wish I had some extra roosters but I don't. Enjoy the gumbo!

The Game feed is 24% protein and my little ones are eating it up. It came from the same feed store in TX that my friend got the Coyote creek organic layer feed from,..it's $35.00 /50lb,...but it sure goes a lot further than the other stuff. they get satisfied on the organic and eat less but with better nutrition..... it's still way too expensive to keep this up right now,.. and I need to find something else,.. but non GMO is important to us and to those buying our eggs.,.. almost none of the "Organic" yard eggs advertised on Craigs list and FB are NOT organic.   
I really don't see you as the wimpy type,.. nor myself either,.. and if we HAD to I think we could butcher a bird,.. our for-mothers grew up doing it and so it was not such a big deal.,.. but I am so glad we don't HAVE to! 

The game bird feed from Petrus is 26% but I cut it with cracked corn to bring the protein down a bit for the other animals.

$35.00/50lb bag ????!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :th That is WAY out of my pocket range. I would not be able to afford that with all of the animals that I have.

Yea, you're right. If I had to do it, I could. :/ I can remember my 6ft tall grandmother going out into her chicken yard and grabbing a chicken(s), ringing it's neck, plucking it and coming inside to cook it. I wish I could be like her. :/ It seemed so easy to her. We were the first ones at the table to eat when the food was cooked. :drool

The game bird feed from Petrus is 26% but I cut it with cracked corn to bring the protein down a bit for the other animals.
$35.00/50lb bag ????!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ep.gif
th.gif
That is WAY out of my pocket range. I would not be able to afford that with all of the animals that I have.
Yea, you're right. If I had to do it, I could.
hmm.png
I can remember my 6ft tall grandmother going out into her chicken yard and grabbing a chicken(s), ringing it's neck, plucking it and coming inside to cook it. I wish I could be like her.
hmm.png
It seemed so easy to her. We were the first ones at the table to eat when the food was cooked.
droolin.gif
I know...it IS very costly, but it lasts me twice as long as the commercial feeds. I think it's because it's raw, whole food. Because it isn't cooked and processed, it retains all its nutrients. I could pay half as much but would feed twice the amount of pellets or crumbles, so my expense would be the same. This way I know that the eggs and meat my family are eating are not full of GMOs. The more I read, the more terrified I am of buying food that I haven't raised or grown.
sickbyc.gif

$35.00/50lb bag ????!!!!!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :th That is WAY out of my pocket range. I would not be able to afford that with all of the animals that I have.

Yea, you're right. If I had to do it, I could. :/ I can remember my 6ft tall grandmother going out into her chicken yard and grabbing a chicken(s), ringing it's neck, plucking it and coming inside to cook it. I wish I could be like her. :/ It seemed so easy to her. We were the first ones at the table to eat when the food was cooked. :drool

I know...it IS very costly, but it lasts me twice as long as the commercial feeds.  I think it's because it's raw, whole food.  Because it isn't cooked and processed, it retains all its nutrients. I could pay half as much but would feed twice the amount of pellets or crumbles, so my expense would be the same. This way I know that the eggs and meat my family are eating are not full of GMOs.  The more I read, the more terrified I am of buying food that I haven't raised or grown. :sick

What does it look like? Can you post a pic of the feed? How many animals do you have to feed?

Good morning La-yers! It's nice and chilly outside.

On yesterday after work, I was driving home and I received a call from my neighbor. She was calling to see where I was because she had made a big ole' pot of chicken, sausage and okra gumbo AND potato salad and she had some for me. What a nice WARM surprise. I stopped by her house and picked up my gumbo. After doing all of the chores in the yard and taking a VERY hot shower and jumping in my PJ's, I grabbed my gumbo and potato salad and enjoyed my little bit of heaven. It was sooooooooo good. It was just what I needed. I have some of the best neighbors. On last week my other neighbor had a great aunt that was in town and she wanted some fresh eggs to bake some home made cakes for her family. They came over and we stayed outside for a long time talking about the animals and laughing. Before they left, I went inside and packed up 2 dozen fresh eggs for them and gave it to them free. I told them that I only had 1 request. I asked if they could bring me 1 small slice of the home made cake. Well, the next day, they come back over with an entire cake. It was a yellow cake with chocolate icing. :drool Now how lucky can ya get. She made me a heart shaped chocolate cake. That was THE BEST cake that I have ever eaten. I was so happy. Did I say I have the BEST neighbors. :)

Good mornin' (chilly yes, nice ehh not so much LOL) frost on the punkins this mornin', here

Hey there La-yers and BYC-ers too.
frow.gif

Hey there Kuntrygirl yeah I know what you mean on the nice neighbors when I lived over in Simmesport I had neighbors that would bring me over plates of food regularly "real" plates too. LOL

I guess the one thing I have found out about eating like that, one reason it tastes so good is the fact that somebody else did the work in preparing it.
wink.png
Oh how I do love me some homemade yellow scratch cake(with fresh eggs/the more the better) with chocolate icing too. LOL

Jeff

Good morning - Oh gee, ya'll have me drooling all over my computer screen! Can't beat good neighbors!
Mom's making gumbo today (chicken & sausage).

It's a bit on the cool-ish side for me weatherwise but it sure does "feel" like Thanksgiving finally!
smile.png

Good mornin' (chilly yes, nice ehh not so much LOL) frost on the punkins this mornin', here

Hey there La-yers and BYC-ers too.:frow

Hey there Kuntrygirl yeah I  know what you mean on the nice neighbors when I lived over in Simmesport I had neighbors that would bring me over plates of food regularly "real" plates too. LOL

I guess the one thing I have found out about eating like that, one reason it tastes so good is the fact that somebody else did the work in preparing it. ;) Oh how I do love me some homemade yellow scratch cake(with fresh eggs/the more the better) with chocolate icing too. LOL

Jeff

I agree. Someone else preparing good food is ALWAYS a winner. Got me thinking about making my own scratch cake. I just gotta get a recipe from a REAL old school cook.

Good morning - Oh gee, ya'll have me drooling all over my computer screen! Can't beat good neighbors!
Mom's making gumbo today (chicken & sausage).

It's a bit on the cool-ish side for me weatherwise but it sure does "feel" like Thanksgiving finally! :)

I love gumbo. I could eat it every day. Terri, I'm thinking about duck gumbo. I have some extra drakes that I could process. :drool

Terri, how is Mal doing?

I love gumbo. I could eat it every day. Terri, I'm thinking about duck gumbo. I have some extra drakes that I could process.
droolin.gif

Terri, how is Mal doing?
droolin.gif
Duck gumbo -- mmmmmmm, my fav!!!!

Mal got his stitches out last Friday & now feels like he *ought* to be able to jump & run, but he's supposed to be "all four feet on the ground" for the next 3 weeks, so we have a, uh, difference of opinion that usually ends up w/him on a leash. I'll be so glad to get his 2nd surgery behind us!

I have a killer recipe for old timey burnt sugar cake if you want it -- you can do cake or cupcakes - it is one fantastic cake! I'm making one for Thanksgiving dessert next week.

I love gumbo. I could eat it every day. Terri, I'm thinking about duck gumbo. I have some extra drakes that I could process. :drool

Terri, how is Mal doing?

:drool  Duck gumbo -- mmmmmmm, my fav!!!!

Mal got his stitches out last Friday & now feels like he *ought* to be able to jump & run, but he's supposed to be "all four feet on the ground" for the next 3 weeks, so we have a, uh, difference of opinion that usually ends up w/him on a leash. I'll be so glad to get his 2nd surgery behind us!

I have a killer recipe for old timey burnt sugar cake if you want it -- you can do cake or cupcakes - it is one fantastic cake! I'm making one for Thanksgiving dessert next week.

LOL @ Mal feeling like he "ought" to be able to jump and run. Gotta love Mal. Sending happy wishes for a speedy and jumpless and runless recovery. :)

Did you say killer recipe for old timey burnt sugar cake? :drool I would love to have it.! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I can "practice" on it this weekend. THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom