"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mzstre

mzstre Songster

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA

I'll try to snap a pic when I get home. I have mine milled pretty fine, but they will grind as coarse as you request. Even a coarse grind will have fines in it though because they add kelp and fish meal. It took my birds a week or so to get used to it, but they don't waste anything now. Umm...I have about 35 adult LF, 3 juvenile LF, 9 bantams, 2 sebbies & a brooder full of chicks. :) I can't really count the chicks though since they have their own food.

We just processed a few boys, so I need to take into account their feed consumption, but I've been going through about 2.5 - 3 50lb bags per month. I have the feed in a gravity feeder so they eat as much as they want.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

That sure does sound healthy and yummy. I wish I could afford that. :/

3. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chirping

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I did. I'm going to have to repost. I guess there just aren't very many around these parts!

4. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chirping

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Have y'all ever heard anything good or bad on Bluebonnet feed or used it before?

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    somebody has White Jersey Giant hatching eggs on Ebay.

6. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chirping

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I was trying to find some pullets or older. I'll still check it out. Thank you!! [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

No never heard of it before.

8. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Crowing

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a red/orange light that I bought when the girls were babies. It provides some heat. If I use that to warm the coop this winter, will that keep the girls from sleeping?

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I would "geuss" that it shouldn't - I use red for my chicks when they are hatched--- but I never use heat in my coop -- it doesn't get cold enough here to justify it - I add extra shavings & hay & put visqueen over the 1/3 open area at the top of my coop & they do fine with that -- even a few years ago when we had snow, they were happy.

10. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Old-Time Burnt Sugar Cake
    Burnt sugar syrup:

1 cup sugar
    1 cup hot water

Dump the sugar in a skillet on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir only occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes, until it melts and turns into an amber-colored liquid. Keeping the heat on medium-low, carefully add a cup of hot water, a little bit at a time. It will bubble up, then simmer down. Keep the heat on low and simmer about another 5-10 minutes, again stirring only occasionally. Turn off the fire, remove the skillet & set aside to cool while you prepare the cake. The syrup is thin while hot but thickens as it cools.

Making Burnt Sugar Cake:

3 cups sifted cake flour--measure AFTER sifting
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    Pinch of Cream of tarter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup butter, room temperature
    3 eggs, separated (yolks/whites divided)
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/2 cup Burnt Sugar Syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder & salt in a large mixing bowl & set aside. In another bowl, combine room temperature butter and sugar; cream until light & fluffy. Add egg yolks & beat again.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy with a pinch of cream of tarter.

Pour 1/2 cup of the Burnt Sugar Syrup into a one cup measuring cup. Add the teaspoon of vanilla & enough cool to lukewarm water to add up to one cup w/the vanilla & syrup. To the bowl with flour, add the creamed butter/sugar/egg yolks, the burnt sugar syrup mixture and beat well. Gently fold in the egg whites. (do not beat again).

Divide the mixture between 2 round, greased cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks, then invert on racks & cool completely. Fill & frost with Burnt Sugar Icing.

Burnt Sugar Icing-

16 ounces powdered sugar
    2/3-3/4 cup Burnt Sugar syrup (however much you have left in skillet)
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream butter until light & fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, sifted with salt, add Burnt Sugar syrup and vanilla & beat until creamy smooth and spreadable. If mixture is too stiff, add water a teaspoon at a time. Frost cake & decorate with pecan halves.

Variation: add 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (pecan, hickory nuts, black walnuts) to cake

and here's the burnt sugar muffins (which everybody like even better, since they get more icing on these):

BURNT SUGAR MUFFINS
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 stick butter
    2 egg yolks beaten
    2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup water
    3 teaspoons burnt sugar syrup
    2 egg whites beaten until stiff
    1/8 teaspoon mace

To make burnt sugar: Burn 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium-low to low heat until it has turned to a dark brown liquid. Add 1 cup hot water, stir & boil for 1 minute.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream sugar & butter. Add egg yolks. Sift flour & baking powder together & add alternately with the water. Add the burnt sugar & fold in the egg whites & mace. Spoon into 12 unit muffin pan & bake for 25 minutes.

Burnt Sugar Icing-
    16 ounces powdered sugar
    2/3-3/4 cup Burnt Sugar syrup (use enough to make it easy to spread)
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream butter until light & fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, sifted with salt, add Burnt Sugar syrup and vanilla & beat until creamy smooth and spreadable. If mixture is too stiff, add water a teaspoon at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by