"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I can't beleive you do not kill and process your own turkeys, Ever? What about the 35 ducks, you were telling me about? and the rabbits, and Roosters? i have to admit that the first one, I ever did was a rooster and it took me a half hour after I tied his legs to a tree, before I got up the courage to cut it's throat, but a woman's got to do what a woman's got to do. My mother would have run from a rooster, and I had never even seen it before. Just keep telling yourself that you are doing it so your family can have a nice Thanksgiving dinner, and you are helping the turkey fulfill the reason God gave him to you. It will nourish your children and give them good nutritious meat, free from chemicals, drugs and death is part of living and that food is the reason these turkeys exist. You can do it, we all know you can and I bet your DH will be proud of you! You can do it ! YOU CAN DO IT!! YOU CAN DO IT ! YOU CAN DO IT ! Come on, Kuntrygirl, YOU CAN DO IT !! WE'RE cheering for you! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. MaddiWilliams

MaddiWilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Elton, Louisiana
    This kinda made me want to run out and process a few of my own birds... [​IMG] You should be the group motivator!

3. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    LOL X2 [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I think you should be ok. The heat lamp bulbs are red and the babies are ok with that.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:drool

Thank you!

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I will try. LOL

When we process all of the extras, someone else comes over and "does the deed". I don't do the deed. I can't. I have to go inside until the deed is done. Afterwards, they call me to go back outside to help with the plucking and skinning. The 1st ram that we took to the butcher, I cried in the butcher shop. My family ordered me to go back in the truck until I got it together. I still get teary eyed when we take a ram to the butcher but I'm getting better. I just think about all of that lamb meat in the freezer and I'm back to myself. :drool

I think what makes me so scared is not doing it right the first time and seeing them suffer until I can get it right. I want a quick way that I can do it and know that it will be done right the first time. I need a sure thing method. Any suggestions? I don't think I can do the slitting the throat thing. That's too close and personal. :oops: :hit

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I'm no help for sure - and that's in spite of growing up helping to butcher hogs & calves every fall. I never "knew" them personally, though - & I never watched them being killed, so all I ever saw was the carcass strung up for processing.

I have "offed" several mean roosters - after they attacked me & drew blood, I got mad enough that I grabbed a sharp axe & marched them down to the bayou & whacked their heads off & pitched them into the water for "gator bait".

OK, so I finally processed one last year- Jim grew up on a farm in Wisconsin & he walked me through the process - plucking & all that -- & I put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer.

And there it stayed - I could not bring myself to cook it! I finally got rid of it. I felt so guilty every time I opened the freezer door & saw it laying there...[​IMG]

Now I remember my Grandma going out & pointing out a chicken for me to catch when I was a little kid, & she would wring its' neck right then & there, pluck it & we'd have chicken & dumplings or fried chicken for dinner! - and I know she is frowning down on me for being such a wimp! -- so, I am determined that the next roos I hatch are going to be processed AND cooked & eaten.

Jim said his Dad used to say: ''I fed you, now it's your turn to feed me" - about the lambs & chickens he raised for them to eat. That's a good philosophy; I just have to hold fast to it!

Celie you have such a good, positive attitude! - you definitely have my vote for group motivator! [​IMG]

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    You can use that if you deem it necessary I think you will find that as long as you have shelter and the direct cold wind off your birds they will be good, but if you do close up the coop to use the heat source please make sure you don't have it air tight always leave a vent for air exchange(I know it sounds ironic but it is better this way) the southern most wall with an opening at the top will suffice here. O2 in CO2 out is a must plus they create a lot of humidity from their excretions and normal respiration this causes more problems for them than plain cold air, in this part of the world. LOL

Jeff

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

The only time I did process anything by myself was the day I came home and found that one of my guineas had an accident and died. It got stuck between the fence and a piece of tin. It was already dead, so I just plucked it. I couldn't see wasting some good "road kill", oops, I mean "chicken yard kill". It was still fresh being as though it died during the day. It made a delicious and very small guinea gumbo. I want to hatch and process as many guineas as I can for next year's gumbos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by