"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

In my open coops, I will sometimes run the heat lamps out to the yard. I'm a whimp and I don't want to see my birds cold at night. :oops: If it is too cold, I will fire up the outside fire pits and place in different locations and let the firewood burn all night long. It looks so nice and cozy until it makes me want to grab my blanket and my teddy bear and join them in the chicken coops. :lau

2. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  3. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yes indeed. If I see something that is being given away for free, I can tell you within 5 seconds how to reuse and recycle it. :lau

You could also use the middle section of it (minus the middle board) and make a brooder. ;) It has so much potential.

ETA: I have turned kitty litter buckets into colorful nesting boxes as well.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Lol I've heard of people using the cat litter boxes for nests and then when the hen goes to set they just pick it up by the handle and move them in a different pen or somewhere closed in if it's winter time. I have an automatic dog feeder as a house haha The chickens aren't picky [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck

:lau

Works great for broody hens. You can move them wherever you want them to go. :gig

7. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    It is not a dolphin fish, like flipper, it is a dauphin fish.

8. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thank you X2

9. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    My hens LOVE laying in covered litter boxes!!!

10. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    We recycled a large litter bucket recently to use as a nest box in the breeding pen for my Basques, but the girls wouldn't use it. We finally saw them try to get in it a couple of days ago, but they were too big to turn around comfortably so they just hopped back out. DH built them a simple wooden box out of scraps and they like it just fine. What size birds do y'all have using those litter buckets? Maybe I'm misunderstanding lol. Are you using the buckets or the actual litter boxes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by