"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Sounds good. I am and am not looking forward to the pullets. So many people have been stopping by wanting hens for eggs and people continue to contact me for more eggs and I just can't take on any more customers, so I have to increase. I"m not looking forward to the feed bill though.

Good luck on getting those pallets. 10 peas !!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!

Hopefully, we can get started on another Pea Palace soon. I'm ready to put all of the remaining peas together. I"m not sure how Prince will get along with the rest. He has labeled himself as a "Loner". He is not animal friendly but is people friendly. Go figure. He won't bother the other peas but he doesn't want anyone bothering him or getting in his space. He is a strange little fella. :/ I guess too much riding in the truck and too many shopping trips to town changed him. :/

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    When we were at the vet's office last Fri for Mal's checkup, we ran into the lady whom we gave our original peahen Bisnu to - she was imprinted on people - this lady lived way out in the woods & her husband raised pheasant - they got a mate for Bisnu & she successfully raised peachicks. She always stayed tame & wanted to come into the house every time the door opened & would rather be with people than her mate. She passed away last year - she was about 20 years old.

My peachicks don't want to be touched particularly but they also won't leave me alone - if I'm in their pen they are jumping up wanting to be on my lap or pulling at my pants legs & shoestrings.

We're going to close off the middle section of the big peas' run & add another 3 sided coop structure & move them in there, I'm hoping after a few weeks of getting to know each other through the fence we can open the whole area back up to all of them again.

So now it's Romeo, D'artagnan, White Spot,Vishnu, Amtrak, Acela, Burtis, Cloud, Hindu & Screamer.
    [​IMG]Because I get too attached.....wonder how many I'll end up with next year? [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

WOW!! 20 years old!!!!!!???????????? WOW!!! :eek: I better stop hatching because it sounds like they could possibly outlive me. And who would take care of them after I'm dead and gone? :hit

With your luck Terri, you will TRIPLE your number of peas. I can't wait to see that. :gig You're going to have something on your hands. You may have a year like I have with my muscovies. :lau

I would love for the girls to brood their own eggs but I don't think it will ever happen. I may have to leave eggs in the pen to see if they will set on the eggs. Terri, have any of your pea hens went broody and hatched their own eggs?

Oh, how I would LOVE to hatch out ALL WHITE peas next year! :weee

4. mzstre

mzstre Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA

That's what I have and my Basque girls say no way lol!

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:yuckyuck :lau :lau :lau

LOL @ your girls saying no.

:lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau :lau

You've got those girls spoiled rotten. :lau :lau :lau

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  6. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I know -- and how many people do you suppose want to inherit an entire flock of peafowl, right?

This was the first time I've ever had peahens laying, and their first time as well -- neither of them showed the slightest interest in wanting to brood. They just laid their eggs & ignored them.

Wouldn't an all white flock be awesome?! Or even all white & silver pied! [​IMG]

7. TerriLaChicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Spoiled rotten! that's those foreigner chicks for you! [​IMG]

8. mzstre

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    You think that's funny...you haven't heard the best part! I thought maybe they didn't like the bright colors, so I went and bought paint for plastics and painted it a nice brown, earthy color. They still said no! [​IMG][​IMG]

9. mzstre

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    I can't wait to see all your baby pea pictures next year!!! Wow, it would be an exotic experience to visit you lol!

10. mzstre

Oct 5, 2011
    near Baton Rouge, LA
    [​IMG] To be fair to them, they really couldn't turn around in the box. I didn't realize they were so meaty lol! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by