"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I'm devastated. Something just took my favorite Silkie, Bubbles. - probably a raccoon or cat. He was there when I checked on the flock late this afternoon. When I went to put them up for the night he was gone. My DH found a clump of his feathers where whatever it was pulled him under the house. I'm so upset!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I know this is part of owning chickens but it's my first predator incident and I don't like it one bit!

Here are a couple of picture I took last week. He was almost 6 months old; a Bobbie Porto baby.
He would follow me around in the back yard especially when I was working in the gardens. Knew I was likely to dig up some treats for him.

So very sorry for your loss: He was beautiful. Mary Daniels raises silkies that look just like this and may have some chicks or juveniles available. She will be at the Hammond i-12 Flea Market this Sunday and the St. Tammany Parish Fairgrounds swap we are starting on Sunday June 23rd in Covington. We have a thread on Facebook for the Covington swaps where she posts quite a bit.

Last edited:
New baby Alert! Here are some pics of my babies, the two blue silkies I got from Frank's Silkies in Prairieville, the 3 Ameraucana, 2 Polish and the white silkie I bought from yesterdays swap in Hammond. I know one of the Polish in golden laced but the other not sure of and the Ameraucana's I think are silver laced not too sure about that one either both breeds are new to me. My DH is going to kill me
gig.gif

Lighter Color Ameraucana #1

#1 different pic to show color better

Ameraucana #2

Ameraucana #3

unsure maybe silver laced Polish

Golden Laced Polish

Lighter Blue from Frank

Blue from Frank

White Silkie Posin lol

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your warm thoughts. My DH went under the house this morning to remove the carcass but it was only feathers. He found the tracks of Boonie, our next door neighbor's raccoon, showing that she had dragged the bird over to their house. We're all animal lovers in our neighborhood - one reason I knew I could have chickens (and roos) and not have problems with my neighbors. One of us is always rescuing something. Boonie was brought to them as a baby so they hand-raised it. It's an indoor/outdoor coon and they feed her very well. That's why I didn't think she would go to the trouble of catching a chicken when she never wants for food. Heck, they were calling her a few days ago to give her pizza. Obviously I was wrong. Lesson learned. I'll take extra measures to keep the flock safe. P.S. Unlike most raccoons, she is active during the day. That's the way she was raised and I guess it stuck.
First so sorry for your loss. Bubbles looked pretty special . Their is no such thing as a pet coon. They are wild animals. Yes I know many people raise them as pets. Most of them later regret it when their cute baby grows into an adult. My neighbor feeds wild/ stray cats, coons ,and opposums. Then when she didn't put food out a few times they started coming in her house through the pet door and ransacking her kitchen. Then the stray cats started MIA. Then they found my coop and ate half my flock in one night. I bought a humane trap. Some humane society's loan them out. We caught 8 raccoons and 6 opposums brought them to the swamp many miles away. By then I had 2 hems left. Now that Boonie has a taste for fresh chicken she'll be back. I hope she doesn't have baby's before your neighbor or you take her for a ride to the wild where she should be. That would be a real rescue for Bonnie and your silkies. If you just have chicken wire on your run a coon will reach in an rip a chicken through the wire if it can reach it. I now have hardware cloth. I see wild raccoons around roaming before dark. I hope this helps I don't want you to lose any more silkies they are so sweet and would be sitting ducks for Bonnie . I know Bonnie was hand raised indoor/outdoor but its only a matter of time before she damages their house or bites someone. I saw a few videos of this on t v . I would bet theirs some on you tube.

Need some help you guy...my 5 mo old Legbar Roo is not his usual energetic self. He started laying around yesterday by himself and is no better this morning. No other visible symptoms. Any suggestions or advice?
Whenever my chickens feel bad I make sure there is ACV in their water and I give them plain yogart. It has worked for me so far and it's good for all of the chickens and it will make them happy. BTW, the two girls I got from you are big and sassy and beautiful. I'll post some fotos.

PSJ-- I'd start putting out bait.  Open cans of food and wait out with the guns to put a stop to it.  I'll do what I can to get you more babies when you've terminated the dogs.  It's a shame.  The poor dogs are just hungry.  This is a definite HUMAN problem.  They're the ones who need punishment.  Did you ask about pressing charges?  I would have a camera on the yard to prove it is them and then press charges.
[/quote]
Thanks. Electrical wire will be going up all around the outside of the run. I still have my babies I got from you. They sleep in a cage in the house at night and they get outside time during the day. My husband was laughing today because they run FROM him but TO me. Lol

First so sorry for your loss. Bubbles looked pretty special .
Their is no such thing as a pet coon. They are wild animals. Yes I know many people raise them as pets. Most of them later regret it when their cute baby grows into an adult.
My neighbor feeds wild/ stray cats, coons ,and opposums. Then when she didn't put food out a few times they started coming in her house through the pet door and ransacking her kitchen. Then the stray cats started MIA. Then they found my coop and ate half my flock in one night.
I bought a humane trap. Some humane society's loan them out. We caught 8 raccoons and 6 opposums brought them to the swamp many miles away. By then I had 2 hems left. Now that Boonie has a taste for fresh chicken she'll be back. I hope she doesn't have baby's before your neighbor or you take her for a ride to the wild where she should be. That would be a real rescue for Bonnie and your silkies.
If you just have chicken wire on your run a coon will reach in an rip a chicken through the wire if it can reach it. I now have hardware cloth.
I see wild raccoons around roaming before dark.
I hope this helps I don't want you to lose any more silkies they are so sweet and would be sitting ducks for Bonnie . I know Bonnie was hand raised indoor/outdoor but its only a matter of time before she damages their house or bites someone. I saw a few videos of this on t v . I would bet theirs some on you tube.
So true & opossums and raccoons both carry so many diseases that or dangerous to humans & domestic pets. They need to be relocated in the wild away from homes.

Back
Top Bottom