"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

So adorable!
Has anyone here raised pekin ducklings? I'm raising some for the first time, and I'm worried about weight. Can they get overweight at three weeks? Mine have a noticeable fat pouch, and when you pick them up they're squishy. This pictures are from Monday, and I feel they've only gotten fatter since then. This isn't their pen, by the way. I was just letting them roam around, since they still sleep in the brooder at night.

It's one of the MAIN reasons we do this! We all here raise our own, wether eggs, meat, milk, gardens, honey, chicks, whatever we put our hearts into to make sure its better than what can be bought. Healthier than what can be bought and just about everyone who does it consumes their own also.
It's sad to me both the ignorance and sorta feels like a burn - like Ew no way - when they gawk on about what they *think* they know and correct the person actually in the know :th
I actually dreamed of this last night...  I know weird.  But it was my friend Denise, and I actually jumped at her, verbally, she had hurt me.  Apparently in my dream I teared up when she thought I would allow her child to be put in a dangerous, unclean, scary situation.  How she would think I would take a chance with her child health was beyond me... bet you thought of that too.  At first it was funny in a way, those who should KNOW more than that... then when i woke up this morning, i realized THAT is how I would feel.  Would NEVER allow a child to come in contact with something that could potentially harm them or make them sick...  hurt she would think I would be so careless....   So instead of giggling, I am gonna say I'm sorry.  She should know YOU better, even if her info in her head is wrong.  :hugs

Good morning La-yers. Today is a good day. It's Friday! the sun is shining, the sky is a beautiful blue and it's warming up. We got 2 trees cut down & hauled to the burn pile yesterday along w/several piles of brush. It looks so much better! In exchange for the man who came & worked all day on the yard and trees and hauling stuff off, I swapped 3 hens and my 3 roosters for his help. I am now "roosterless" again and glad of it. No more crowing all night long! No more shrieking hens! No more attacks from the rear when I walk across my own backyard and they are out! I have sold my incubator and will not be doing any more hatching. I have my flock down to a manageable 14 hens now which is more than enough for eggs for my family. For me, this is the right decision to make. I have to downsize and destress. My husband has been very sick & it will take weeks for him to recover. I want to spend more time in my garden, I have to restart plants for the hanging baskets I lost in the freezes, I want to ride my bike in the evenings.

Please send good thoughts and prayers for Winnie & Malcolm (my 2 Cocker furkids) on Monday as both are having surgery. Winnie has a tumour on her back next to her spine - she had one removed from there 8 years ago - and Mal has a big warty growth on the side of his head. Hopefully both will be benign.

TGIF!
wee.gif

Good morning La-yers. Today is a good day. It's Friday! the sun is shining, the sky is a beautiful blue and it's warming up. We got 2 trees cut down & hauled to the burn pile yesterday along w/several piles of brush. It looks so much better!  In exchange for the man who came & worked all day on the yard and trees and hauling stuff off, I swapped 3 hens and my 3 roosters for his help. I am now "roosterless" again and glad of it. No more crowing all night long! No more shrieking hens! No more attacks from the rear when I walk across my own backyard and they are out!  I have sold my incubator and will not be doing any more hatching. I have my flock down to a manageable 14 hens now which is more than enough for eggs for my family. For me, this is the right decision to make. I have to downsize and destress. My husband has been very sick & it will take weeks for him to recover. I want to spend more time in my garden, I have to restart plants for the hanging baskets I lost in the freezes, I want to ride my bike in the evenings.

Please send good thoughts and prayers for Winnie & Malcolm (my 2 Cocker furkids) on Monday as both are having surgery. Winnie has a tumour on her back next to her spine - she had one removed from there 8 years ago - and Mal has a big warty growth on the side of his head. Hopefully both will be benign.

TGIF! :weee

Terri, sorry about your husband being I'll. prayers sent your way. Also, for your fur kids. I love the image of riding your bike in the evening. I used to do all my exercise in the evening. Love that time of day. When I was younger I would take long walks in the dark. Can't do that in the city anymore. I love nighttime.

I walk downtown from site to site at work, packing tho :gig sad.

I used to walk everywhere, go on hikes, go camping at the beaches, take naps in a park under a tree...not anymore. But I do get on the rooftops for evening pics and will star gaze and hike our own woods lol that way I know I'm the only one *supposed* to be there lol

This summer I'm wanting to take the kids camping...their 1st (still in planning mode lol I wanted to last year too, fail :th ). But here in our woods , right here not far from the house but far enough for kids and that I know they've never tread :). All night in a part of the backyard. Woods, streams, stars and smores. Hehehe already making a small fire pit in a clearing (gotta cheat a lil and prepare so we don't burn our backyard down lol) maybe clear areas to play in :) already are deer trails...

Good job clearing up land. We do a lot annually and it hard work but feels so rewarding. I love before and afters of dang hard work.

Glad you get to help the hubby heal. Sorry to hear he's been ill :(

Glad you don't have to have eyes in the back of your head now too! Great job on bartering chickens for help!

Good morning La-yers. Today is a good day. It's Friday! the sun is shining, the sky is a beautiful blue and it's warming up. We got 2 trees cut down & hauled to the burn pile yesterday along w/several piles of brush. It looks so much better!  In exchange for the man who came & worked all day on the yard and trees and hauling stuff off, I swapped 3 hens and my 3 roosters for his help. I am now "roosterless" again and glad of it. No more crowing all night long! No more shrieking hens! No more attacks from the rear when I walk across my own backyard and they are out!  I have sold my incubator and will not be doing any more hatching. I have my flock down to a manageable 14 hens now which is more than enough for eggs for my family. For me, this is the right decision to make. I have to downsize and destress. My husband has been very sick & it will take weeks for him to recover. I want to spend more time in my garden, I have to restart plants for the hanging baskets I lost in the freezes, I want to ride my bike in the evenings.

Good morning. It was a little chilly outside this morning but it's warming up.

Sounds like you got a lot of work done over that way. Glad that you finally were able to downsize to the number you wanted. I bet that was tough having a rooster crow all night. I couldn't even imagine, although I do hear mine at about 4:00 AM ever y morning. :/ I have been slowing thinning my flock out as well. I am getting rid of all of the rabbits, the goat and a lot of hens and roosters. I need a break. The past 6 months was a killer. The broilers really hit me hard, so I am shying away from almost all hatching. I still want to hatch a few peas, a few poults and a few goslings. Other than that, I don't want to see any babies. Some of my hens are getting older, so I need to get rid of them to bring in new layers. I have been eyes the "red pullets" at TSC and most likely will buy a few of them. Perhaps I can get lucky and cash in on those 50 free chicks that I go in the past.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for Winnie and Mal. I know they will pull through like the champions they are. Keep us posted.

And speaking of incubator. I have no idea where mine is. I better find it because the peas will be laying soon and I want to be ready.

Tell Jim hello for me and I hope that he gets to feeling better.

Lovely pictures from an incredibly productive nature loving lady, thank you for sharing! Lovely Bengal cat too
wink.png
We went to black bayou and caught nothing but the sunset it was awesome haven't been fishing in years because I could never find the time. It was soul food!

Quote:
Thoughts and prayers your way. I hope that your husband is feeling his spunky self again soon. I'm sure you can have LOTS of projects lined up for him. I completely understand about the roosters!! Remember "Horn Dog Harry"? My own brand of hell! Positive thoughts headed to Winnie and Malcolm. Hopefully, they will be feeling better quickly and we'll have to have YOU sedated to cope with them. Enjoy this BEAUTIFUL day!!!

Back
Top Bottom