"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:Bed bound here , what is a drop pen ?

Same question. Drop Pen? Is that something I need to have built as well? I'm always up for a new pen. [​IMG]

[​IMG] yep , just what the doctor ordered , build another pen [​IMG]:lau:lau:lau:ya

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Basically just a simple pen, it has 4 base boards and the rest 2x4 wire and you just set it on top of a bird, like to seperate game stags and cocks. I will post a pic when I'm done.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Ohhhhhhhhh ok. Gotcha. [​IMG]

4. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Quote:Wow Julie you are quite a friend! To do that for one day would be exhausting, much less a whole week [​IMG] I will be picking up some large pallets tomorrow morning to make some grow out / silkie pens, otherwise I might have had to make the trip to come visit you and Chuckie!

Do you have any dogs? Mine go crazy over hoof trimmings!

Yea, I try to help anyone when I can. I just can't say no to helping people.

Sounds like you have a great project that is about to begin with those pallets. I can't wait to see the finished project. I'm sure that Chuckie will be sitting right along side of me once I start trimming. Whenever I am outside, he sees me and walks over and plops down and waits for his daily massage. He's a sweetie pie.

I had a dog about 5 years ago but she died. She was a pit bull and she died when she was 13 years old. She is buried under her favorite tree in the back yard. [​IMG]
    I remember those days of trimming nails. For some reason or another, my dog loved having her nails trimmed. Now that I think of it, my dog loved taking a bath as well. She was an inside dog and when I would run the water for a bath, I would sometimes find that my dog had jumped in the bathtub and was waiting on me to give her a bath. [​IMG] Go figure.

What kind of dogs do you have?

I had an austrailian shepperd that hated having her nails clipped, she would try to pull away and jump around every time, you' think i was removing toes based on her reactions! Now I have 2 pitbulls & they both like their nails clipped too! And both of them like to drink out of my bath water. But they don't really like baths. If you put them any where near a lake or a river though, you'll have a tough time keeping them out of the water.

5. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    By the way, after checking on my chickens & looking them over, I'd say about half of them have foul pox. The one buff that I posted pics of is by far the worst. Some of them have only one speck about as big as a pen tip. But anyways, I'm still putting iodine on my birds everyday. I've found it's much easier to have my DW hold the flash light & do it at night. A sleepy bird is a happy bird. I also read about birds who quit eating when they got foul pox. Mine are still eating their normal portions though.

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:With your location being near a bayou, I'm sure you have more mosquitoes than all of us on this thread. It's a shame our chickens have to go thru that just because of a mosquito. [​IMG]

Glad to hear that they are still doing good.

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:With your location being near a bayou, I'm sure you have more mosquitoes than all of us on this thread. It's a shame our chickens have to go thru that just because of a mosquito. [​IMG]

Glad to hear that they are still doing good.

I'm almost considering vaccinating mine, since we can practically throw a rock & hit our bayou. Jim's been fogging the coop in the evenings before they go in when he does around the house so maybe that's keeping the skeeter population down.

I'm going to ask at the feed store tomorrow if they know of a place we can have a fall expo. They used to let us have dog obedience training classes in this big break room they have behind the store, maybe they would let us have it there, or know of a place.

8. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    This is what I call drop pen, and you can run a 2x4 through it for a perch.. attached it using hog rings. Easy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:NICE!

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Ant problems? Read below.

Article from vocalpoint.com

Coffee Grounds Fight Ants! Not only do coffee grounds make an excellent fertilizer for acid-loving plants, they can be used to combat any pesky ant problem you may have in your home or yard. Sprinkle used coffee grounds around the outside perimeter of your house to keep ants from sneaking in through unseen cracks and crevices. Spread some coffee grounds around the mounds you find in your yard to discourage ants from colonizing new territory. You can also use coffee grounds inside your house, because (unlike chemical pesticides) coffee is safe for both children and pets. Did you discover ants in your pantry? Think coffee grounds. Did someone break the ant farm? Think coffee grounds!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by