Combine in a 1...6 oz bottle:
15 drops lavender oil
3-4 Tbsp of vanilla extract
10 drops of lemon eucalyptus oil
1/4 Cup lemon juice.
Fill bottle with water.
Shake & it's ready to use.
Spray on yourself.
NOTE: these oils are fairly common... health food stores, most pharmacies, garden stores, large chain stores, or you can order them online.

Make some extra to gift to your neighbors, family & friends. (Trust me.. it'll be appreciated!)

-or Take garlic pills. This works, but might keep some people away too. lol

-or- Avon's Skin-So-Soft (this also works for ticks.... put it on your shoes, exposed socks & around your ankles.)

-or- Lots of folks said Eucalyptus oil works... just put it on exposed areas.

-or- Lots of folks say putting a fresh dryer sheet in your pocket or under your hat works well. One lady said she ties a strip of one into a bow on her dog's collar. It's worth a try!!

I think everyone's body chemistry is different, so try these out to see which one works best for you & each member of your family. No one wants to get bitten & definitely no one wants to get West Nile Virus!!
I saw this recipe too and plan on giving it a try. Also love your suggestion about steeping the lemons.

Hey Julie, I think this would go great over at your place!

Okay, between this, the fat-legged chickens and the showgirls I'm ready to hide under the chair with KountryGirl and MrsMagoo!!
hide.gif
gig.gif

Evening everyone! Internet was down at work today so I haven't had a chance to pop in and say hello.

Busy night tonight prepping for tomorrow's show--our first. I'm showing a bird, hubby is showing a bird, son and daughter are each showing a bird. That's 4 birds washed, blow dried, shined, and totally manicured. I am worn out already and have an early start tomorrow getting to the fairgrounds and getting birds checked in. I hope I've done everything right. They're clean and bug free. A couple of the d'uccles have some broken foot feathers--it is almost impossible to keep them all intact. I've tried. I'm hoping it'll only be a few points off for that.

I'm packing baggies to pick up and dispose of poop, baby wipes to clean their feet and behinds if they get dirty, water and waterers for them ( I don't want to use any provided ones if there are any--cooties ya know), and extra shavings for the feather footed birds' cages. I'm hoping that's it. Oh, and the camera. Not feeding them past what they eat early tomorrow morning so their crops stay smooth.

Anyone think of anything I'm missing?
Best of luck at the show today!!!

What's up Guys and Gals!!!!
I have not posted on this thread in quite a while but just wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone!

Once again I'm up to my ears with chicks that I'm growing out looking for the few that will make it all the way to the show pens and then to the breeding pens next year! I have a horse that is about to foal any day now. We had to bring the colt from last year to LSU for surgery a couple weeks ago. We bought another puppy because you can never have enough dogs and dog poop to step in, right! Had to build a bunch of new coops for all then new birds and breeds I have now. Did real good at a show in Pensacola last weekend with one of my RIR's. I won Best Breed, Best Variety, Champion American, Champion Lg Fowl and basically came in 3rd over all with over 500 birds entered. Got a huge promotion at work with a ton more responsibility and finally my wife is due any day now with our second little girl who we decided to name Alex Rae.....but other than that nothing has been going on and it's been kind of slow around here. LOL!

Have I been missing anything? I see there is a bunch of new folks on here now!!!!

Chris
LL
Nothing like having a few things going on in your life! Looks like you could have a new daughter and a foal at the same time. Hope the colt is doing well after his surgery.
Congratulations on your promo and all the awards and accolades on your boy. He's very good looking.

Last edited:
What's up Terri? You must have been talking to Jeff, LOL! He sounds as happy about my wins as I was!!

Daughter to be works! LOL I was just starting to settle down real good with the way things were going and then......I'm getting to old for all this, lol! Yea, things have been real good around here, no complaints.

How are your reds doing?

Chris
LOL Jeff was over here a couple of weeks ago. He went home with 3 of my yearling peas from last year's hatch, and also my remaining two RIR hens which I sold to Sandy (Chickenbelle).
Right now I'm concentrating on my Welsummers (3 months old, Grisham lines) & Cuckoo Marans from VERY dark eggs from Russ (Norus Marans) 2 months old. And trying to keep my incubator freed up because the peas should start laying any day now!

Thank you!!! I am beyond outdone with the Alexandria TSC for selling Cornish x's in the mixed pullet bin. The sign did not indicate anything about meat birds! I figured it would be a leghorn. We have since given this one fat meat bird away to a self sustaining farm that will use it, but I was totally blindsided with such a specialty cross "meat bird" being sold as a general mixed pullet! I am not prepared, as a backyard chicken beginner looking for egg layers, to take on the responsibility of a bird bred to be slaughtered in 8 weeks! Seems as if something of that nature should be made available separately to people interested in raising meat birds specifically. It should definitely not be in the mixed pullet bin!
I can't even go there... It enrages me. bad! I completely agree with what you are saying

Evening everyone!

Chris--Terri's RR hens are doing wonderfully--at my house like she said.
gig.gif
Sweet girls. My roo only had one hen and need more company. The one started laying immediately on the way home and settled quickly. The darker of the two took until this week to start laying for me, but she is a CHUNK! I have no idea what that girl eats!

Not a bad experience at the show today. There was NOTHING from the Mediterranean class. The only RIRs shown were rose combed--I should've taken a couple of my straight combs. I thought our hens and roo looked better than those rose combs, but that's just me. Their roo was nice, but not as good of a stance as mine. Turned out we didn't win anything big, but each of our birds placed because no one else brought the same breeds.

My porcelain d'uccle got best variety, my 8 year old son's gold neck d'uccle got best variety and reserve breed, and I had let hubby claim the mille fleur roo--I knew he was gorgeous--sure enough he took the best variety and best of breed. Lost the feather legged bantam class to a cochin from the lady in charge of the cochin club out of Michigan. Hubby won the trophy for Best Novice Bantam. I will have to continually remind him that he won that stinkin little trophy because I allowed everyone in my family to choose who they wanted to show and I took last pick. Ha! My daughter's wyandotte cockerel of course took best of breed and best variety since he was also the only one. It was a cornish hen that won supreme today. A cochin won bantam and a large black orp won large fowl.

Overall, we had a good time. Learned a lot. Watched a lot of people who are OBSESSIVE with what they do. Some of those folks packed trunks full of stuff for prepping birds.

I don't think I'll try another show until more of my birds grow out. I have several breeds of show quality birds and by fall they should be ready. I have silver penciled rocks, silkies, showgirls, Marans, buttercups, and wyandottes that are from show lines and could grow out to do well.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Saturday!

I can attest to Chris having some mighty fine-looking chickens. They look even better in person than in pictures. He also has a great set-up to keep them in that I'd love to copy.

Chris, of the 9 RIR's that I got from you, it appears that 5 are pullets and 4 are cockerels, so a perfect mix. Also appears that the two Barred Rocks are one of each. At about 10 weeks old, they are already about the size of my fully grown hatchery chickens.

Evening everyone!

gig.gif
Sweet girls. My roo only had one hen and need more company. The one started laying immediately on the way home and settled quickly. The darker of the two took until this week to start laying for me, but she is a CHUNK! I have no idea what that girl eats!

Not a bad experience at the show today. There was NOTHING from the Mediterranean class. The only RIRs shown were rose combed--I should've taken a couple of my straight combs. I thought our hens and roo looked better than those rose combs, but that's just me. Their roo was nice, but not as good of a stance as mine. Turned out we didn't win anything big, but each of our birds placed because no one else brought the same breeds.

My porcelain d'uccle got best variety, my 8 year old son's gold neck d'uccle got best variety and reserve breed, and I had let hubby claim the mille fleur roo--I knew he was gorgeous--sure enough he took the best variety and best of breed. Lost the feather legged bantam class to a cochin from the lady in charge of the cochin club out of Michigan. Hubby won the trophy for Best Novice Bantam. I will have to continually remind him that he won that stinkin little trophy because I allowed everyone in my family to choose who they wanted to show and I took last pick. Ha! My daughter's wyandotte cockerel of course took best of breed and best variety since he was also the only one. It was a cornish hen that won supreme today. A cochin won bantam and a large black orp won large fowl.

Overall, we had a good time. Learned a lot. Watched a lot of people who are OBSESSIVE with what they do. Some of those folks packed trunks full of stuff for prepping birds.

I don't think I'll try another show until more of my birds grow out. I have several breeds of show quality birds and by fall they should be ready. I have silver penciled rocks, silkies, showgirls, Marans, buttercups, and wyandottes that are from show lines and could grow out to do well.

I saw that Black Orpington that won the LF show he was amazing to say the least. I probly stared at him the longest duration of all I was stricken in amazement with. There were some fine animals there for sure and I urge anyone that has never ever seen a real poultry show before to go to the next one they hear/see about because it is an enlightening experience for sure. I've reared chickens for 30 something odd years off and on and was surely impressed at the sights I saw yesterday and there were very few large fowl shown it was an ABA meet there were plenty of little OE games to represent believe you me. It was an awesome day. Congrats to you Sandy and crew for representing the locale and getting your feet wet in the showing arena. I found I'm for sure a long ways away from even being close to ever showing my stuff, they all get used too much(live a real chicken's life) to be as pretty as what all I saw yesterday, LOL

Jeff

Evening everyone!

gig.gif

Congratulations! sounds like it was a terrifice experience for the whole family!

Terri and Ashley looky what I got this morning :) Needless to say its got alot of color

Hi all and to any newbies

Cold and windy up north this morning sure needs to warm back up

Back
Top Bottom