"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

As I was getting back from today's chicken swap a friend called to tell me she needed help with an injured Mallard and her ducklings. Mom ended up getting away so we have the neighbors in that area on notice for any sightings. Anyhooo, I'm now the proud owner of 4 ducklings. They're just as cute as they can be. I'm guessing they're only a few days old (that's 1/2" hardware cloth in the pic). My plan is to raise them until they're old enough to fend fore themselves then let them go.

Can I treat the ducklings like I would chicks? Can they eat the same starter crumble? With temps as high as they are now, do they need a heat lamp? Anything else I need to know to take care of them properly?

Are you sure those are mallards? They look awful wood duckish to me. It might just be because it is so small though. Maybe someone with more experience could chime in!

As I was getting back from today's chicken swap a friend called to tell me she needed help with an injured Mallard and her ducklings. Mom ended up getting away so we have the neighbors in that area on notice for any sightings. Anyhooo, I'm now the proud owner of 4 ducklings. They're just as cute as they can be. I'm guessing they're only a few days old (that's 1/2" hardware cloth in the pic). My plan is to raise them until they're old enough to fend fore themselves then let them go. Can I treat the ducklings like I would chicks? Can they eat the same starter crumble? With temps as high as they are now, do they need a heat lamp? Anything else I need to know to take care of them properly?
He is precious !!!!!!! The only advice that I give to people with waterfowl is to not let them eat anything medicated that contains "amprolium". It could possibly kill them. I do not feed medicated feed to any of my waterfowl. I have heard of people killing their waterfowl by feeding medicated feed that contains amprolium. Some people say that this is not true but I don't take any chances. I stay away from the stuff. I don't want to try to see if the rumor is just a rumor. They also need a waterer that is deep enough for them to dunk their heads into but not deep enough that they will drown. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/11/can-medicated-feed-be-used-for.html

Guess who's neck is straight? :celebrate :weee :ya For those of you who don't know the story of my Mr. Turkey and his ordeal, you can read all about him here.

Post #1
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-issues-with-pics-treatment-vet-state-testing

Update: Post # 33

Before: 2011

After 2013:

My boy in his younger days.

This is truly a miracle !!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice!!
big_smile.png
I'm the same way you are kuntrygirl I don't use medicated feed.
I would love it if they are woodies!!!!
fl.gif
All 4 of them definitely have an orange tip on the beaks. I didn't see the momma duck so I'm going off what my friend said she was. Either way they're just adorable.

Just had to share this pic of the "kids" because I thought it was too funny! I let them out to free range... and this was their "OMG, WE ARE FREE!" dance
smile.png
I can hear them quacking out the little words.......we're free, we're free! LOL
lau.gif
Just love the way they have their wings outstretched.

Guess who's neck is straight?
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
For those of you who don't know the story of my Mr. Turkey and his ordeal, you can read all about him here.

Post #1
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-issues-with-pics-treatment-vet-state-testing

Update: Post # 33

Before: 2011

After 2013:

My boy in his younger days.

This is truly a miracle !!!!!!!
That's wonderful news!! Yay for Mr. Turkey!!!

I too thought they sure resemble woodies too, if they are just make sure the game warden either knows this(by getting permission/ok'd) or make for sure he doesn't, one or the other
smile.png

Just saying
wink.png

Jeff

Thats too cool about the wry necked turkey Julie I've often thought of this since way back ago when it first happened.

Last edited:
Will be getting my chickens next week! Does anyone who lives or has lived in New Orleans know what specifc predators to watch out for in this area? There are alot of stray cats around that's my man concern, but I haven't seen any raccoons or rats but that doesn't mean they won't show up when the chickens arrive..

Thanks for all the advice!!
big_smile.png
I'm the same way you are kuntrygirl I don't use medicated feed.
I would love it if they are woodies!!!!
fl.gif
All 4 of them definitely have an orange tip on the beaks. I didn't see the momma duck so I'm going off what my friend said she was. Either way they're just adorable.

I can hear them quacking out the little words.......we're free, we're free! LOL
lau.gif
Just love the way they have their wings outstretched.

That's wonderful news!! Yay for Mr. Turkey!!!
Oh yes, from that pic I would be willing to bet money that those are woodies. You should look into getting a permit if you plan to keep them. Otherwise you could be looking at a fine if someone decides to turn you in or you get busted with them!

Back
Top Bottom