"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Anyone know what this injury is on my Orpington's beak? I see this same injury in the same spot on two other chickens as well.

Anyone know what this injury is on my Orpington's beak? I see this same injury in the same spot on two other chickens as well.

I'm guessing you have a mean head hen. I hope others have ideas about it. Pam
PS if you have blue cote it would keep them from pecking the comb and making it worse

Last edited:
We grow all our veggies n a lot of them at a time we sell any that we can't use to keep a lot n give family some we have 4 really really big gardens we had to use tractors for it we also use the potatoes we grow to plant wit any next year so we don't really ever buy plants r seeds

I'm guessing you have a mean head hen. I hope others have ideas about it. Pam
PS if you have blue cote it would keep them from pecking the comb and making it worse

Thanks. My barred rock, which I think may be the head hen, has this same injury. The chicks (5 total) are 10 wks old and my first chicks so I'm learning as I go.

Thanks. My barred rock, which I think may be the head hen, has this same injury. The chicks (5 total) are 10 wks old and my first chicks so I'm learning as I go.

We're all doing that. Do you have one that doesn't have injuries on its comb? If so that's the one inflicting the pecked combs. They are young and still trying to figure out rank. Pam

I wish I was closer!!!!
lau.gif
My gardening is a bust this year, at least the spring. Too much work, not enough stamina. Best idea for potatoes is canning them. Or making casseroles and freezing them. That's the joy of living in the deep south, no root cellar. You know, if you had a dehydrator you could slice very thin and dry them. Probably the best idea would be to make a giant pot of beef stew and pressure can it. I have lot of ideas and no potatoes.
tongue2.gif
Aw, don't say your gardening is a complete bust this year! There is still plenty of time for hot weather plants. Maybe you will get the chance to have some of those.

Thanks for the ideas. When they gave us that big box of potatoes I did try canning some. The first jar that we tried.....my oldest made into mashed potatoes.......or glue rather. It was terrible! I saw how she did it and it wasn't her fault at all. She made them like we usually do. But maybe we can use the potatoes that are already canned in a different way. I also did do the thin slices and dried them. That actually works really well. I think I will do some soups like you suggest! We absolutely loved having the jars of soup through this last winter. It was really great for me too when I am alone. I hate cooking for just myself.

My grandma turns the excess into mashed potatoes (cooks & mashes) and freezes them.
I wonder if twice baked potatoes would freeze? I always wonder if I freeze mashed potatoes if they will kind of separate and get watery. Have you frozen mashed before?

I'm not sure besides as someone else said cooking, mashing and freezing but I do know there is quite a bit of information regarding particular potatoes and their shelf life. In other words, some will store up longer than others. Since our climate and such is really not as conducive to long term storage, it might be worth it for you to try and grow the varieties that have the longest shelf life. Most potato seed websites will mention their storage life. I'm growing some Rose Fin fingerlings this year that supposedly have a long term shelf life. We will see!

Btw...your potatoes are looking good!
wink.png
I just grabbed and planted these.......not really a well thought out plan on this one, hahaha!!! As you say, we will see! My poor hubby if they don't do well. He SO wants a big pile of potatoes this year.

I had baby turkeys hatch this weekend. Not sure how I feel about that yet. It's still sinking in.
hmm.png
hugs.gif
Sorry :( I hope you hang on! My youngest keeps asking for us to get her SHOWGIRLS! Ugh!!! She wants expensive, show quality so she can hatch/sell babies.....blah, blah, blah
hide.gif
I told her we still have much to learn and that she is going to have to help keep the new chicken barn clean, pick up poo and feathers, do health checks etc. If all goes well then maybe we will go that road in the future. If she really wants it she will still want it then.

Back
Top Bottom