"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Ok. It's almost 9pm and I checked my babies one last time a 8.  Happy as a clam.   Cool after a day of he//. The fellow is coming in the morning to wrap the 4'x6' kennel.  It will be in the sun for a little in the morning and shade the rest of the day.  If need be I'll put an umbrella up.   :lau

I know that some of you raise turkeys and I came across a youtube site on an old thread.  Tastefully done butchering.   

Until I finally got my whole set up under a big oak tree, I used a big umbrella against the west setting sun. They weren't free range then.

Until I finally got my whole set up under a big oak tree, I used a big umbrella against the west setting sun. They weren't free range then.

Alrighty, we're up and set under the shade. I'm so tired. The little suckers are so small that they went through the wrapping that my fellow did. At least two of them. They are in a 4" space about 4' long and blocked at both ends. I did manage to get one and have food and water down for the other. And that's where he will stay until I get some help. I'm buying hardware cloth. (payday tomorrow) and will finish it up. They are so happy and running and flying. It's hot so I sprinkled the big girls down and thought what the he//, so I misted them. They didn't say a word just huddled for a few minutes then started flying. Happy babies. I have 15 more in the incubator for another 10 days or so and 15 white plymouth rocks in today that will go in.

Okay, so I got the curtains sewed, two sections with a separation between for them to get into the nesting shelves. Not sure, may have to use a tie to tie back the parts by the sections where they would enter. Looking at others who have used curtains and seems like what I may have to do.

Mosquitos are getting pretty darn bad. Im putting in a box fan, pointing toward the laying shelves. This won't deter them from laying will it?
Okay, so, I can't buy anything. BUT, I need more ideas on what to do for the mosquito problem. Here is what I have:

No standing water near, ACV kept in the chickens and dogs water bucket.
Box fan going in one corner but bldg is 10 wide X 12 long X 8 high
Fresh cut grass and dried leaves on coop floor, poo is a problem tho...
No way to air it out anymore, bldg made of tractor trailer doors, so no adjusting those. Entrance door is one of those, so it is large. Kept open.
Grass in yard is cut short, no grass just dirt 4 feet in front of bldg.
Nearby trees supply shade on 1/2 of the bldg. No sunlight reaches inside it at all.

Okay, so ideas? I have vinegar, jars of minced garlic, Sevin Dust and a spice rack well stocked.
Really need some help on this, googled the crap out of this but want to hear tried and true...

I just read how to cure impacted croop. Take note crakednuts . Buy coke let it go flat must let it go totally flat. Then get a dropper. Put a few droppers down their esophagus and that's it the coke will break down the grain that's impacted. Pam

I'm so happy your back! Missed you! Not the same without you and Terri. Hope all is well. Ignore Ron's post. I might just delete it. Lol!
I LOVE RON'S POST!!! Too funny thinking of you sleeping and clipping!
yippiechickie.gif

Okay, so I got the curtains sewed, two sections with a separation between for them to get into the nesting shelves.  Not sure, may have to use a tie to tie back the parts by the sections where they would enter.  Looking at others who have used curtains and seems like what I may have to do.

Mosquitos are getting pretty darn bad. Im putting in a box fan, pointing toward the laying shelves.  This won't deter them from laying will it?  
Okay, so, I can't buy anything.  BUT, I need more ideas on what to do for the mosquito problem. Here is what I have:

No standing water near, ACV kept in the chickens and dogs water bucket.
Box fan going in one corner but bldg is 10 wide X 12 long X 8 high
Fresh cut grass and dried leaves on coop floor, poo is a problem tho...
No way to air it out anymore, bldg made of tractor trailer doors, so no adjusting those. Entrance door is one of those, so it is large. Kept open.
Grass in yard is cut short, no grass just dirt 4 feet in front of bldg.
Nearby trees supply shade on 1/2 of the bldg.  No sunlight reaches inside it at all.

Okay, so ideas?  I have vinegar, jars of minced garlic, Sevin Dust and a spice rack well stocked. 
Really need some help on this, googled the crap out of this but want to hear tried and true...

They don't like lemon balm you could resurch natural repellant . For heat I froze some water bottles put them in a big water bowl with fan behind the frozen bottles. So the air is cooler and keeps mosquitoes from landing. There's another disease this year chicken Ganga . Pam

Back
Top Bottom