"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Being this is my first winter with chickens, I have a dumb question. Do we have to worry about them getting frostbite on their combs if we get temps in the low 20's or teens? I know it is a rare occurence here but  your help would be appreciated..... Thanks

I'm down near Lake Charles, and my roo lost the points of his comb last year. It was basically early spring, maybe the Easter cold snap? But my coop didn't have enough ventilation up top. And the roosts are pretty high, so I think they were trapped in the moisture cloud. I lowered the roosts, and I'm going to lift the front of the roof by two inches to hopefully fix this for this winter.

I picked the babies up from Turk this morning, all are active and well. Here's a couple of pics...looks like my campine rooster jump into the buff pen a time or two.
1f618.png
1f618.png
1f618.png

These are campines and cuckoo marans.

That is funny about your campine jumping the fence :) Pretty Lil chicks

First of 10 out. 1 day late. 2 more pipped.
So exciting!

I just check each chick over and did a recount...we have 41. That's 4 more than we originally thought so that brings the hatch rate up to 82% even with the FBCM x eggs that are so hard to hatch. Good job Turk!!!

Being this is my first winter with chickens, I have a dumb question. Do we have to worry about them getting frostbite on their combs if we get temps in the low 20's or teens? I know it is a rare occurence here but your help would be appreciated..... Thanks

Yes absolutely. Our humidity makes it harsher on the birds. It makes ventilation all the more important. Birds cooped up without enough ventilation will swim in humidity and frost bite is much more likely. I rub vaseline on my large combed birds.

I'm down near Lake Charles, and my roo lost the points of his comb last year. It was basically early spring, maybe the Easter cold snap? But my coop didn't have enough ventilation up top. And the roosts are pretty high, so I think they were trapped in the moisture cloud. I lowered the roosts, and I'm going to lift the front of the roof by two inches to hopefully fix this for this winter.

Yes absolutely. Our humidity makes it harsher on the birds. It makes ventilation all the more important. Birds cooped up without enough ventilation will swim in humidity and frost bite is much more likely. I rub vaseline on my large combed birds.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I'm hoping humidity won't be a huge issue for my birds because they sleep on roosts that are actually out in the run but blocked on three sides by tin. It's kind of weird but the only ones that sleep inside the coop are my 3 SLW. I can't get the other 15 birds to go in there. They like the elevated roost I guess??

This is where most of them roost.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom