"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hello Everyone, I need help with a health issue. This morning I found one of my girls near dead in one of my pens.  On checking her I found her abdomen to be swollen and tight. I checked her vent for a stuck egg but didn't find anything in there nor could I find anything else wrong with her. Since she was so close to dead I went ahead and put her down. On checking the other 2 girls in the same pen I think that their abdomens are swelling also, one seems less active than normal. I checked her vent but didn't find anything alarming. Does anyone have any Ideas what could be going on and what can be done to help if the other girls are having the same problem as the first one?

Open her up. Check for worms, cancer, or internal laying.

Whatsup chicken peeps??

I've been MIA from byc for awhile........but the chicken life saga continues here. I've finally chosen which breeders to keep for this season and sold off the rest. Ugh. I had to put on my big girl chicken pants and just make the choices. Selling or eating extras is so final. You just can't take it back. I like my choices now. But will I like them in 3 to 6 months?? That's the next question!!!

Maybe I can catch up with the reading here, lol.

You might say i have gone crazy but i have been working on this Cabinet incubator,( trial run) it is supposed to hold 5 turners but shown with only 4 here, my plan is to stage my hatch's seven days apart, so that i am turning about 30 birds a week, i am banking on 75% hatch rates. plus i can hatch eggs in the top tray that take longer and not effect my other hatch's, i have 10 Muscovy eggs in the top, Pam, the bottom tray has 12 CCL eggs from the stock i got from you, they are the bottom left, the blue eggs on right are the White crested legbar eggs i have been working on for awhile now, The pullet in my profile picture is the mother of the pullets that lay these bluer eggs, She was fathered by and crossed back to CCL roo, MY Pet Chicken sales the same birds for $62.00 each, they call them Frost Whites,these will be 3rd gen. and should be even bluer. If i am lucky, something will hatch from this bunch of eggs.

Last edited:
I have been missing in action too, i have greatly expanded my operation and prepping for garden season, i already set out 60 tomato plants, yeah, i may be crazy but if i get away with it, i will have tomato's the first of April

Put some bird netting around it.

Good morning, I'm having a bit of a problem, and I know it will get worse. My turkey's found the garden.
The fall wasn't that big of a deal they found it lait, but I want to plant my vegetables and I'm scared to. Because now they know it's there they check it every day.

Good morning, I'm having a bit of a problem, and I know it will get worse. My turkey's found the garden.
The fall wasn't that big of a deal they found it lait, but I want to plant my vegetables and I'm scared to. Because now they know it's there they check it every day.
I am wanting some turkeys, well my wife wants them so it is the same thing

Whatsup chicken peeps??

I've been MIA from byc for awhile........but the chicken life saga continues here. I've finally chosen which breeders to keep for this season and sold off the rest. Ugh. I had to put on my big girl chicken pants and just make the choices. Selling or eating extras is so final. You just can't take it back. I like my choices now. But will I like them in 3 to 6 months?? That's the next question!!!

Maybe I can catch up with the reading here, lol.
I have been gone awhile also, but maybe i will be in and out more often, just too much expanding going on to visit much

You might say i have gone crazy but i have been working on this Cabinet incubator,( trial run) it is supposed to hold 5 turners but shown with only 4 here, my plan is to stage my hatch's seven days apart, so that i am turning about 30 birds a week, i am banking on 75% hatch rates. plus i can hatch eggs in the top tray that take longer and not effect my other hatch's, i have 10 Muscovy eggs in the top, Pam, the bottom tray has 12 CCL eggs from the stock i got from you, they are the bottom left, the blue eggs on right are the White crested legbar eggs i have been working on for awhile now, The pullet in my profile picture is the mother of the pullets that lay these bluer eggs, She was fathered by and crossed back to CCL roo, MY Pet Chicken sales the same birds for $62.00 each, they call them Frost Whites,these will be 3rd gen. and should be even bluer. If i am lucky, something will hatch from this bunch of eggs.
I don't think your crazy! If I had room I would certainly hatch out a much larger number than we do. I don't even know how many we hatched out last year. But I ended up only keeping 2 hens and 2 cockerels of my red bantam cochins from what I hatched last year. I probably hatched 50-75 of only that type.

I have been missing in action too, i have greatly expanded my operation and prepping for garden season, i already set out 60 tomato plants, yeah, i may be crazy but if i get away with it, i will have tomato's the first of April
Go for it! I've been doing all sorts of gardening chores already too. It just feels like its time even though its much earlier than usual.

I have been gone awhile also, but maybe i will be in and out more often, just too much expanding going on to visit much
I have cock pens to build in the next week!

Back
Top Bottom