"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I have taken excess roos to Zachary Feed, in a cage, and they've sold them for me. I usually tell them to ask for $10 and I split it with whoever got it sold. Actually I usually just give it all to them, some kids who work there are in school/college.
It helps to take the bird in on a Friday morning or Saturday. Other feed stores probably would do this if asked. Craig's List is another option that I have used to sell excess Roosters.
I have an adult roo and what I suspect is a baby roo from a 2 chick hatch, he looks more like a boy-chick every day so he'll need to go to a new home. I dislike having more than one roo around - someone's always squalling or fussing.
My craig's list experience is mixed, however. When I am just selling 1 or 2 young roosters I get buyers wanting a small flock rooster but if I am selling 7 or more I get people buying birds for eating/grow out/re-market.

I have taken excess roos to Zachary Feed, in a cage, and they've sold them for me. I usually tell them to ask for $10 and I split it with whoever got it sold. Actually I usually just give it all to them, some kids who work there are in school/college.
It helps to take the bird in on a Friday morning or Saturday. Other feed stores probably would do this if asked. Craig's List is another option that I have used to sell excess Roosters.
I have an adult roo and what I suspect is a baby roo from a 2 chick hatch, he looks more like a boy-chick every day so he'll need to go to a new home. I dislike having more than one roo around - someone's always squalling or fussing.
My craig's list experience is mixed, however. When I am just selling 1 or 2 young roosters I get buyers wanting a small flock rooster but if I am selling 7 or more I get people buying birds for eating/grow out/re-market.
Thank you so much. It is my neighbor that has the roo. I sent him your response and told him to consider it.

Hey fellow Louisianians, especially those of you in the lower half of the boot! Any advice on your preferred method of dealing with chickens in an impending hurricane?
For reference, I have 4 hilarious ladies and a pretty cozy coop that is just big enough for them to roost comfortably at night. They usually freerange in the backyard from about 7am to 7:30pm. When there's a big storm, they usually prefer to be in their fig tree rather than the coop. So...for this rarified weather event, is it better to keep them in the coop, or let them out? It seems like they'd be better protected in the coop, but I don't want to trap them if they need to fly to safety. Thoughts?

It depends on how strong the storm is. During Gustav I locked them on my back porch which was screened and protected with the house on three sides. For a smaller storm I locked them in a smaller coop. For this storm I plan to lock them in their bigger coop and put up their winter panels on three sides, leaving the front open. The storms don’t usually last that long. An hour or two. They can manage being locked up for that length of time. A stiff wind they can handle. More than that might blow them over the fence.

Is your coop tied down? If the wind takes the coop or knocks it over, they would probably be injured. My chicken palace is not a palace, I keep hoping a storm will take it away.
I leave mine loose - in the 2016 flood they all got on top of their coop which saved them.
When the water went down they had their first seafood dinner - eating the minnows & small bream left behind in the pasture.
During Gustav they all moved themselves into the goat shed.
They are pretty resilient & weatherproof little creatures.
I tag the goats & horse with my address and phone number just in case I lose a fence.
Best wishes to everyone in the storm path, be safe!

Is your coop tied down? If the wind takes the coop or knocks it over, they would probably be injured. My chicken palace is not a palace, I keep hoping a storm will take it away.
I leave mine loose - in the 2016 flood they all got on top of their coop which saved them.
When the water went down they had their first seafood dinner - eating the minnows & small bream left behind in the pasture.
During Gustav they all moved themselves into the goat shed.
They are pretty resilient & weatherproof little creatures.
I tag the goats & horse with my address and phone number just in case I lose a fence.
Best wishes to everyone in the storm path, be safe!
That is so smart to tag your livestock. So many go away in a heavy rain event and the owners not found. They say this will be more rain than wind. Mine survived 2016. They know how to get to higher ground.

Hey fellow Louisianians, especially those of you in the lower half of the boot! Any advice on your preferred method of dealing with chickens in an impending hurricane?
For reference, I have 4 hilarious ladies and a pretty cozy coop that is just big enough for them to roost comfortably at night. They usually freerange in the backyard from about 7am to 7:30pm. When there's a big storm, they usually prefer to be in their fig tree rather than the coop. So...for this rarified weather event, is it better to keep them in the coop, or let them out? It seems like they'd be better protected in the coop, but I don't want to trap them if they need to fly to safety. Thoughts?
We are in Houma so REALLY close to the Gulf. Under 3, we stay. This summer we redesigned and toughened up the coop and run. Our plan is to stay and the girls will be locked in the coop. Yesterday we had some gusts that scared them pretty good while they were free ranging and sent one for a little tumble. So for their safety, in they go.

Back
Top Bottom